IGNORED

Removin smog from -73 240z

Reverend

Did you install the dual point with one set of points removed? Sounds like the engine's happy, anyway. Wish I could run 17 deg. As I recall I couldn't get it there even with the stock head. With higher compression and California gas, it pings at more than 10 deg.

Maybe all 260's have electronic ignition? If so it would need to be hooked up per '74 FSM.

It has both points on place and attached to coil. Factory spec is 17 degrees for non emission engine. Well no matter now, it runs and i did a 30 mile test drive. Tranny (auto) is in a need of attention, it changes gear very roughly. 

There are some maintenance chores that could be tried for the AT, before taking it to a transmission shop. You'll need a small torque wrench to adjust the bands to spec in the manual. It might need a new modulator, not expensive. On mine, the short rubber hose (from the steel vacuum line to the balance tube) was shot and came off a number of times, causing a problem like you describe, until I replaced it.

Suggest pull the trans cooler lines at the radiator and idle the engine until it pumps out all the old trans fluid. Then pull the trans pan (there's no drain plug), clean it, clean or replace the screen, and adjust the bands to specified torque per FSM or Chilton's. Put a new gasket. Just pulling the pan will not change the fluid, since about half of it will be trapped in the torque converter. When you start it up you can't drive for about 30 seconds until the torque converter fills up. It would be nice to know how much ATF it takes for a dry transmission, must be in the manual somewhere.

Edited by Stanley