IGNORED

L28 About To Pull The Head, Any Advice?

There's only maybe a 1/4 of an inch left above the deck, can't get a good hold with vice grips. Tried welding a nut on it but my crappy little flux core HF buzzbox isn't really penetrating the bolt, so they break right back off. I'm gonna give an easy out a try, maybe try drilling it then welding a nut on. Last time this happened it was an exhaust stud. I drilled it out and retaped it, that time I got it centered perfect and its held up quite well. I'm just not sure that if I resort to that here if the retaped threads will handle the torque needed for the head bolts. But thats my favorite way of handling this problem, on anything but head or crank bolts.

With internal still in as in , crank pistons exc. Called the machine that did a suzuki crank for a couple years back, asked him how much,he 60-100 depending how bad it gets, turns out he's a Z guy, said his son owns two 240zs, and he's worked on a ton of L motors. I think thats a sign, so I'm pulling the motor right now, let someone else handle this before I wreck the block or light the whole car on fire.

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys thought I should update. Like I said I decided to let a machine shop extract the busted bolt. He said had three hours into it and charged me 90 bucks, worth it to me. Whole deal was kinda rough but a learning lesson for sure. While it was out I touched up the block, and repainted several items as well. I think it turned out pretty good.I'll attach some pics. Installed new valve stem seals and bought turbo head bolts from courtesy nissan. Those took awhile to get hear which delayed me some but oh well. Also went to omaha and scored a sweet deal on a 81 ZX 5 speed, which is now filled with redline MT90. Got it fully assembled last weekend and started her up last Sunday, runs perfect , better than ever, and that new 5 speed is a dream. Weirdly enough my odometer came back to life, I assume this means she's come out a state of deep depression. And my speedo is now accurate with the new tranny, it used to read 5mph high. This leads me to believe I may have already had a 3.90, also how can tell if I have a limited slip rear end. I noticed that while both wheels will turn independent of one another, they also will both turn the drive shaft when jacked up, and they both become locked in place when the car is in gear. Not sure about that. But here's some motor pics for everybody to check out.post-28456-0-59837700-1430076782_thumb.jpost-28456-0-59837700-1430076782_thumb.j

post-28456-0-13771700-1430076867_thumb.j