IGNORED

Driver Circuit For 280Zx Dinger

TomoHawk

The Accel  has EFI and micro-controllers like any modern car, so I'll presume that it is what makes the ding-dong go.  It just gives it a shot of +12V, then turns it off, like it would for any warning lamp.

I"ll be there is a way to do this just as simply without the bulb, but it eludes me until I find it.  I'll go look in my Enyclopedia of Electronic Circuits Vol 1, Graf, Rudolf.

Now that we have a working way to make the dinger work, I checked to see if there are any other cars that can be a source of this chime unit.  The results  are that the earlier  models built around 2000 had them:

2000-2005 accent
2000      Sonata
2000      Tiburon
2001-2002 Elantra

the models built starting about 2009 had an electronic bell-sound of chime.  Also, the dinger like I have would be located above the gas pedal.

Thanks to Cap'n O for the all the fun :D

• 2 weeks later...

That 555 circuit only has 5 parts to it, and the ones in my cookbook have a lot more, plus a bunch of transistors, so I will use the blinky light for as long as it will last, and I'll use these long, dark days to etch a few copies of the circuit board. I'd hate to waste the etchant on just one tiny PCB.

The 555 circuit still needs  a bit to drive the dinger anyway.

• 1 month later...

Having tested the Tridon EP-34A flasher unit, I think it would be fine to control this dinger.  You might think that $13 is a little too much to pay for a thing to make your car go ding-dong, but when you consider that you're saving your $100 battery, it might be worth it, especially if you can get one very cheaply from the JY.