Lower Control Arm Brackets - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Lower Control Arm Brackets

Featured Replies

Anyone ever hear of these brackets breaking at the 90 degree bend ?  Both mine broke at the track yesterday.  Pretty scary ride for a few seconds !  Unless someone has a better part idea, I plan to gusset up the next set to make them stronger.  These are the brackets or plates that bolt to the frame at the top and the transverse link bolts to at the bottom.  These were ST brackets.  If you were to run a rear ST sway bar, this is the bracket that it would bolt up to.  Give me some ideas.  1971 240 Z   Thanks

We've had heim jointed front control arms snap but never the rear bracket.

Must have been a few interesting minutes.

It might be an east coast thing but many S30 racers don't run a rear sway bar.

As to the ST bracket (I have one on my up on blocks street 240), I would be on the phone with them ASAP.

Just maybe it's all the HP you're putting down that caused it to break...

  • Author

I don't run a rear bar either.  I used to, that's why I have that type bracket, but I have not run the bar in quite a while.  To maintain roll couple balance, while running a rear bar, would require a very heavy front spring and bar.  On the track, I have found that the rear bar induced too much oversteer and was just not workable.  Others probably have a different result, but I guess that's why they make blondes and brunettes!

So Bob Sharp liked a loose suspension set-up on his S30s. Those Zs had large sway bars front and rear with perhaps 200 lb springs and a mid-range shock setting. Bob liked and taught others to throw the car into the car and power out of the turn.

Of course having the balls to do as Bob instructed (and did himself) was the tough part.

The cars were set up to run sprint races so the mind numbing and back breaking harshness of say a 12 or 24-hr race car became a factor when Bob drove against factory works cars that had really stiff suspension set-ups. By the end of the season the stiff suspension drivers were reluctant to even get in their cars

  • Author

I'm no Bob Sharp, not even John Morton, or even Jim Fitzgerald.  Just run hard enough to break suspension brackets.

  • 1 year later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.