IGNORED

Stock muffler for 240z with a Far 311 Race Cam

jalexquijano

Just came back from an exhaust shop here in Panama, Central America where you cannot get any parts for classic Zs. Due to the lack of mufflers for this type of race cars they had installed the following muffler which did work well on my 1972 240z that was modified with a Far 311 Race cam:post-29967-14150829992932_thumb.jpg

The car was running okay but due to the size of this muffler the shop had to force it in the small available space besides the gas tank and everytime i passed through a Speed bump it got smacked. In view of this issue, i returned to the shop after months and they decided to install a muffler used on Toyota yaris, and other small sedans. It looked better as shown here:

post-29967-14150829993706_thumb.jpg

BIG MISTAKE, now i barely managed to get home as the car seems liked choked holding the speed and losing force. I have already spent US$340 with these "experierenced" shops down here and have lost money and time without getting the right solution. WHat i want is to get a muffler that will keep the car noise down so i can listen to my radio and at the same time does fit perfectly as the one it came with in 1972. THe former owner had a twice pipe installed and i had this system removed due to the huge noise it produced. WHat should i strive for? Magnaflow, Dynamax or Flowmaster? I will need the precise model and Brand.

Edited by jalexquijano

Will this Brand and Muffler be the solution?

http://www.andysautosport.com/products/borla__400024.html

or shall i settle for the following Dynomax 17733 model?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynomax-Super-Turbo-Muffler-17733-Offset-2-5-IN-Center-2-5-Out-/351009474955?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b9cb898b&vxp=mtr

I really prefer a cylinder type muffler.

Edited by jalexquijano

The 90 degree turn in the first picture will kill the flow. You need to buy some pre-bent exhaust tubing at least, along with a muffler, so the guys in the shop don't create these kinds of abominations.

yes, but will i still be able to use a small muffler as the one they installed? or should i purchase either the Magnaflow, Borla or Dynomax? Which model will fit this car perfectly and will allow to work in optimum conditions?

Zed,

Just took the pictures of the muffler the guys in the shop installed yesterday which measures 14 inches long and two inches in and out. Im really dissapointed at the fact that once having installed this shorter muffler my car has lost power and is not speeding properly, its holding up (choking) and producing some cracking noise as i try to speed up:

post-29967-1415083003498_thumb.jpg

Please look at the pictures carefully and advise if there is no posible way of fixing this issue unless i swap this muffler. By Reading the numbers labeled on the side of the muffler 17909, it seems this is what they sold me:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wlk-17909/overview/

post-29967-14150830008301_thumb.jpg

post-29967-14150830033437_thumb.jpg

post-29967-14150830034255_thumb.jpg

Edited by jalexquijano