IGNORED

Ignition modules

aochider

I'm curious about what some RELIABLE, easy-to-install ignition modules are. I currently have an MSD 6A in there, but the thing is massive, fairly expensive, and seems to be pretty weak against heat (already had one burn out on me).

Any alternatives? Thanks!

The stock 280Z modules seem to last about 35 years, and ~100 - 200K miles. So do the ZX modules, change 35 to 30. The GM HEI module is a cheap, reliable alternative. 123ignition has a module in a programmable distributor that apparently is reliable (based on reports from users of the other cars it's used in).

What car are you working with, what distributor are you using to drive the MSD (points or reluctor) and how much are you willing to change? The MSD is one of the few external modules designed to be a "bolt-on, wire-in" system. Others, like Crane, work the same way but they appear to use the same general design as MSD. Might even be the same product under a different name.

Lots of options. Many will require a distributor change though. Your heat problem might just show a need for a different location for the MSD module.

The stock 280Z modules seem to last about 35 years, and ~100 - 200K miles. So do the ZX modules, change 35 to 30. The GM HEI module is a cheap, reliable alternative. 123ignition has a module in a programmable distributor that apparently is reliable (based on reports from users of the other cars it's used in).

What car are you working with, what distributor are you using to drive the MSD (points or reluctor) and how much are you willing to change? The MSD is one of the few external modules designed to be a "bolt-on, wire-in" system. Others, like Crane, work the same way but they appear to use the same general design as MSD. Might even be the same product under a different name.

Lots of options. Many will require a distributor change though. Your heat problem might just show a need for a different location for the MSD module.

1978 280Z with a Holley carb and MSD 6A and MSD Blaster 2 coil. Distributor appears to be stock (magnetic pickups).

I am actually making an aluminum heat shield, but it is already mounted on the opposite side as the exhaust and I don't think there is a much cooler place in the engine bay (correct me if I'm wrong though!). Maybe I should look into mounting it inside because I have a lot of space...

I would like to leave the distributor, but if there were some unbelievably reliable system, then I'd love to hear about it. This GM HEI seems intriguing, because I imagine it is cheap and easy to find because it is GM. Thanks!

Many other old car nuts use the GM HEI module in place of their more expensive or outdated ignition modules. If you search the web you'll find a lot to read, and there are a few threads on this forum that describe it's use with the 280Z's. It was developed at about the same time as the ZX module though and has about the same capabilities as far as I can tell. They're both "smart" modules that control current to avoid system overheating. Actually, the 1978 ignition module was also pretty modern, I believe, it did not use a ballast and point gap was specified at ~.040", which is the typical high energy ignition setting. The main advantage of the GM over the 78 Z and the ZX modules is cost, since it is a widely used part. ~$20 versus ~$100 or more. Those three are probably about the same performance-wise.

I get the impression though that the ZX distributor with its six point pickup, might be more precise than the Z distributor. There might be other advantages there also.

Check by your fusebox. You might have your original 1978 module in place, ready to be re-used.

I'm in the market for a good complete distributor. I have a recent IC unit on mine that solved my ignition miss years ago. So I can interchange if you don't trust yours. I'm looking for one with a reliable reluctor, stator, magnet assmy, pickup coil assmy and good breaker plate. If anybody has this distributor that goes in a 1983 280zx vin=jn1hzo4s4dx565324 and wants to sell it contact me at 541-771-1775 or email me at jonmc@centurylink.net Please no junk or untrusted stuff. Also would be interested in contact info for reliable aftermarket units.