IGNORED

new brakes & suspension updates!

1 tuff z

i just received the following; modified adj. front control arms and t/c rods from mike kelly at zf racing and my big brake kit from ross corrigan at modern-motorsports! all i can say is WOW! just got the front suspension pieces back from powder coating and they look great. i'm looking forward to getting an alignment and being able to adj. camber and caster [in add to toe] on the front end-while on the car. still working on the rear control arms-ross said he has some in the works-hurry ross-summer's coming soon!

from ross i ordered; big brake kit and the turbo cv adaptors. the machine work on the rotors, hats and rear caliper adaptors are very nice indeed. the front calipers are 13" directionally vented clamped by a floating 2 piston pbr alum caliper. the "hat" which allows the rotor to attach to the stock hub was anodized in red for me and it looks sweet! i figured that while i had everything torn down i should also upgrade the rear axles to the turbo cv's so i also purchased the adaptors from ross. the machine work and welds are beautiful-as well as functional. i was very impressed when i inventoried the box i received. i showed all the parts to a good friend who runs a local speed shop and he agreed that everything is top notch. for the rear i'll be using the 200sx calipers along with ross' adaptors as well as his ebrake piece.

• 3 weeks later...

just added a couple new pics [link below]-still doing some cleanup, painting and pre-fitting before getting it all back together. so far, so good as everything seems to be going as planned. i've had a few questions here and there and ross from modern-motorsports.com has been great.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=1750&cat=500&thumb=1

can't wait to get out and see how this bad boy stops!

WOW David,

Those are some awesome front rotors and calipers! And they're beautiful too!

They must have cost quite a bit. You must be a DINK (Dual Income No Kids)!

Man, I hope you a use 5 point harness to keep you from flying through the windshield!!!ROFL

not a dink-we have 2 kids and my wife is a stay at home mom. i was [very] fortunate to be able to part out a 72z last year which allowed this upgrade. guess i should really thank all who purchased the parts i sold, for helping me to support my "z habit"

• 1 month later...

hey all, just posted a few more pics. the project is coming to a close and i'm itching bad to check out the new binders. just have to bend 2 brake lines from the factory junction block to the new tilton master cylinders, bleed the masters and brakes then...drive and bed in the brakes. below is a link to my pic gallery. i went a step further than originally planned when i contacted ross corrigan at www.modern-motorsports.com. i added tilton separate master cylinders as well as a cable operated mechanical brake bias. the kit ross sold me when together without a hitch. this is probably the first time in quite awhile that i purchased something that came with all the parts i needed; bolts, washers, cotter pins, everything. it was nice for a change not to have to chase down odd parts or hardware here or there. i used his 13" vented rotors with 2 piston alum. pbr calipers up front and the 11" solid rotors with 240sx calipers in the rear. i also retained my parking brake-as this is a street car! anyway, more one i have it on the road and am able to throw out the anchor and really test the binders!

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=1750&cat=500&thumb=1

• 3 weeks later...

just got the z down on all 4's last nite and did a quickie alignment [enuf to at least get it to the alignment shop w/o completely knocking all the tread off the new meats-yoko 235/40/17's!!]. i completely forgot about no more vacuum assist and nearly plowed thru the back of my garage. amazing the strength u can muster when absolutely necessary. anyway, got some used arizona z rear control arms, mike kelly front control arms & t/c rods and ross corrigan's big brakes all around. i had hoped to run in the auto-x this sunday but the wait at dmv to get my plates out of storage was more than 1 1/5 hours! so the 2+2 zxt will have to stand in. i should have it aligned wed next week and be able to bed in the brakes and really throw out the anchor and see how the brakes & new suspension work. oh, any tips on alignment are always appreciated. john coffey has given me some valuable input-thanks john!