IGNORED

Building A L28 (Na)

TheCrazySwede

I spoke to Eiji about the crank options, and he mentioned the benefits of each (L28 vs. L28D)

I told him I wanted a fast revving L28, at the expense of power if necessary. He told me the different rod/stroke ratios, and quite frankly, the diesel crank didn't really do much for me. One of his shop cars runs on a very similar setup as my motor, and he's pushing over 200 at the wheels, with a stock crank. I read up on a lot of Eiji's work (granted, it was very hard to find) but he really knows what he's doing. He's actually very well known in the JDM tuner's community and I can't argue with all of the happy customers I've talked to.

I'm going with a stock crank, along with Kameari pistons and rods. The head work is still under discussion.

Porting and polishing will help - it adds time to the build to get everything ground down but I'm sure that will help achieve your goals too.

Aye, that's what I'm hoping. Haven't gotten into the details yet, as far as head work goes. I wanted to wait for the inspection results first to see if my head was any good. Eiji isn't one to fixate on HP numbers, and quite frankly, neither am I. I would like to hit 200+, which Eiji is confident the build will hit. Fast cars are fun, but fast engines are unique and special to me.

He may need your header (if you are going to use one) to get that exhaust ported and polished.

Are you going to go with a lightened flywheel and a larger exhaust - what kind of carb system?

If I had it to "do over" I would step up to a stage 3 and would have stroked it.

It's kinda like building a house - once you have spent the time to design it - blueprint it - build a replica 3d model and get it erected - then you find the obvious things that you would "do over" again.

He may need your header (if you are going to use one) to get that exhaust ported and polished.

Are you going to go with a lightened flywheel and a larger exhaust - what kind of carb system?

If I had it to "do over" I would step up to a stage 3 and would have stroked it.

It's kinda like building a house - once you have spent the time to design it - blueprint it - build a replica 3d model and get it erected - then you find the obvious things that you would "do over" again.

Yes, I'm going with a 9lbs Flywheel. As far as carburetion goes, I'm upgrading to a triple Weber system. Bought a book last week about all the ins and outs of weber carbs, so I get my research done before I get my hands on them.

no shortage of good weber help on this forum. But the book will explain how it works. Once you get that, you will not be so intimidated by tuning.

Also, a wide band O2 will do wonders for your sanity while tuning.

Thanks Zedy. I'll be sure to knock on your garage when I'm lost! Really looking forward to learning how to tune those beauties!

goal is ~ 200hp at the flywheel - what's that ~ 185 at the wheels ? what are you doing about the rest of the drivetrain ? the 280zx close ratio 5-spd & the R200 3.9 rear diff really wakes up these cars. If your CR is > 10:1 i would watch out for ping.