IGNORED

'76 Motor in '77 (Wiring Harness)

Dear Forums,

I'm planning on putting in a '76 carbed L28 in my '77 280 (currently running an EFI L28)

Is this an easy drop-n-go or do I need a new harness? What else would I need? I'm picking the engine up on Friday.

I am not very car-savvy, as my 280 is my first car to own, so please be gentle with terminology :)

Cheers!

Are you doing this because of your hot restart issue? It sounds like a lot of work for something you might not like as much.

I'd suggest simply removing the ECU and AFM, but leaving the wiring for a while, until you know carburetors are what you really want to run. Seriously, ball up all the wiring, wrap it up in electrical tape, and zip-tie it out of harm's way for a year or two. Then after your first carb rebuild (because of ethanol gas), contemplate whether you might want to go back to EFI. If you do, the wiring is there waiting for you.

Depending on the carbs you're running, you might have an electric choke. Run that to IGN +12, and you'll be set. That's all the engine wiring. The ignition will stay the same.

Save all your EFI parts. Put them in a box. Even if you don't want them again, others might.

Oh, use Stabil fuel stabilizer, and don't let your gasoline get old. The ethanol will really be cruel to your carbs if you don't take these precautions.

Edited by FastWoman

Thank you for all the hints and suggestions!!

Haha, I'm still trying to figure that hot restart problem out, but that is not the reason for this. I love the look and sound of a carb'd L28. I was thinking about doing what you mentioned, having the EFI stuff shoved to the side if ever needed.

Wow, so not much required for the wiring? Glad to hear! :P

I'm planning on getting three Weber carbs. The car comes with rebuilt SU's by Rebello, but I prefer the look of the Weber carbs.

I am not very car-savvy
I'm planning on getting three Weber carbs.

This is not a very good combination. I hope you have some car savvy friends or you can learn about cars VERY quickly. Triple Webers are not for the faint of heart or unknowledgable. They require a certain level of skill to synchronize.

This is not a very good combination. I hope you have some car savvy friends or you can learn about cars VERY quickly. Triple Webers are not for the faint of heart or unknowledgable. They require a certain level of skill to synchronize.

So I've been told, haha.

My brother and my dad are both mechanics (both own 60's Mustangs) and have a lot of experience with the subject. My brother tried to convince me to stay with EFI, mainly due to its simplicity, but I've always preferred the look and sound of carbs. Also, feels like there's a circle of hell every other classic car owner has passed except for me, so I figured I'd join. Jokes aside, they both said they'll teach me the ropes with everything. Also, I've got a Nissan/Datsun mechanic who lives a couple of miles away, so that's always an option, too.

I appreciate the heads up, though.

In that case before you take the plunge, do the research. Join Hybridz.org and start searching on triple webers. Read a lot before you are tempted to ask questions. There will be plenty you don't understand. Your father and brother can fill in some of the gaps.

As long as you keep in mind that there are no real shortcuts to learning about this, I suggest that you jump in and learn.

In that case before you take the plunge, do the research. Join Hybridz.org and start searching on triple webers. Read a lot before you are tempted to ask questions. There will be plenty you don't understand. Your father and brother can fill in some of the gaps.

As long as you keep in mind that there are no real shortcuts to learning about this, I suggest that you jump in and learn.

Yup, been a member of HybridZ for a while now, but they aren't always as "patient" towards those who are new to the scene. That's why I prefer the community here. I'm more than willing to learn about it all, in fact, I am intrigued. I've been competing in motorsport since I was 4 (in karting) and I recently took up club racing and solo autocross. Everyone else has a much broader knowledge than I do, so I've been aching for an opportunity to learn more about the mechanics of a car, rather than just the handling aspects.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, it means a lot.