IGNORED

Distributor options/id

superlen

In chasing down Air Flow Meters to test/calibrate with HellFire I ran across locally a pile of distributors, maybe 20 or so. The problem is that the man who owns them doesn't know Datsuns & these are ostensibly from 280z's, zx's, possibly Datsun Roadster. I was short on time when I was picking up the AFMS so didn't have time to look at them closely, but there were at least a few 77 280s in the pile as I recognized them. Most seemed later with different types of electronic pickups, a few were points. Most I didn't recognize what model, but I've never payed any attention before on they style changes over the different years and models.

I would like to buy several of them for a couple of reasons.

1. As test parts for when I add ignition interface to HellFire

2. As test parts for another related Z product.

3. Just as spares if they are useful & cheap enough. They don't take up much room, and they eat very little. :)

I know there are certain models that are more desirable than others & useful for upgrades and what not. Can anyone shed some light on what I should be looking for & how to id a potential useful rat hole part?

Thanks,

Lenny

Here's a thread with a spreadsheet of part numbers, put together by a CZCC member.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/electrical-s30/34192-280zx-distributor-advance-curve-reference.html

Probably the most important part of any of those would be the vacuum advance breaker plate. The bearings get rusty and cause the plastic bearing retainer to break. If you find some that are intact, don't try to make them rotate. Take them home, take the plate out, take it apart and clean it up first. Or throw it in the rat hole until the appropriate time. If you try to force rotation it will probably break.

Any original E12-XX module is probably on its last legs. The centrifugal weights and springs are interchangeable. The weights are stamped with the maximum advance they'll allow. The mounting bases are handy to have, at least one of each style. The magnetic pickups are a little spendy for the 280Z's, probably worth saving.

The turbo distributors are worth keeping. With the cap off you won't see anything except a blank cover, protecting the optical stuff underneath,.