How to test rear defroster glass grid - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

How to test rear defroster glass grid

Featured Replies

I have two (2) rear windows from a couple of Datsun 240Z Series 1 that I will be selling; however, I have no idea on how to test the defroster grid. Each window has two separate connection tabs to 'power' the grid(s); how do I test? Do you test the grids together, or are they two separate grids that are tested separately? How?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

There's a procedure in the FSM, using resistance measurements.

But an easier way might be to just to fog it up and apply battery voltage to the terminals. It's one grid, positive on one tab, negative to the other. Polarity doesn't matter.

I've never seen an original one that still works :stupid:

Basically the traces you see on the glass are conductive wire, what you see is what you get. They're not insulated so you can poke at them with a multimeter to see if they have continuity or not.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.