IGNORED

Coolant sensor question.

timsz

I am going to put electric fans in my 71Z. Is their 2 types of sensors? I was going to use a thermostat housing from a 280ZX. I see engine coolant temp. sensor and i see water temp. sender. Are they the same thing or do they have a separate function? I read the best place to put sensor is between radiator and thermostat. Didn't i read that someone put a sensor in the engine block. I'm going to use Nissan sensor. I have dual Spal fans with digital temp sensor. Upgraded wiring. Any help? Thank you very much, TimsZ

There are two types of temperature "sensors" on the Z and ZX thermostat housings. One is typically called a sender and has one connector on it usually a bullet style, using the threads in the housing to ground the circuit. It's used for the temperature gauge. The other has two pins in an EV1 style connector (like the injectors use) and is used by the ECU to know the coolant temperature.

You might want a temperature switch instead. Or if the Spal fan has its own temperature measuring circuitry then you'll need to use one that is compatible with it. There are different types among the various car manufacturers and they have different curves. Old Nissan sensor might not be on their list.