IGNORED

Where to buy Tokico Blues?

Threehz

Just removed the rear strut for rebuild and a pool of hydronic fluid poured out. When I examined the shock, it looks new 3013 from the previous owner (no contact). Is it possible that the fluid has been here from original shock failure? Or, should I just replace the 3013s?

Many people leave some of the original fluid in the tube or add some, for a variety of reasons, so it may not indicate a blown shock. The 3013 shock is gas-filled so if the seal was blown the natural state won't be full extension anymore. In other words, if you can push the shaft in to the body and it doesn't push back up, it might be time to get another. BUT, the 3013's are not easily found yet. Although you could get a 3038 in its place if you did not damage the gland nut, and the 3038 packages do seem to be available.

Many people leave some of the original fluid in the tube or add some, for a variety of reasons, so it may not indicate a blown shock. The 3013 shock is gas-filled so if the seal was blown the natural state won't be full extension anymore. In other words, if you can push the shaft in to the body and it doesn't push back up, it might be time to get another. BUT, the 3013's are not easily found yet. Although you could get a 3038 in its place if you did not damage the gland nut, and the 3038 packages do seem to be available.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, just read in another thread about the merits of oil in the tube. Yes, also, found it tough to find replacement 3013. May just stick with them, or go KYB. By the way, spindle pins suck. Wish I had never travelled down that hellish road when so little performance is gained.