IGNORED

Parts car grab, starter, alt, windshield

Mikes Z car

I found out about a 280Z parts car being parted out. Will grab starter, alternator and other parts for my 240Z if they are still on the car. What is the easiest way to grab the windshield, just cut the rubber with a knife? Any hope of cutting off the windshield rubber so it is reusable? Will the distributor work on my 240Z? It might be good to pull the head if it is for unleaded gas if the car used unleaded gas?

Thanks for any heads up.

Mike

Edited by Mikes Z car

I don't actually have the two parts cars I just found out about them. I plan on getting parts off of them this weekend. I don't know what year they are. How are those covers removed, do they just pull off or have snaps?

They have little plastic tabs that like to break off, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if they're year-specific for the 280.

I'm jealous, I can't find any parts cars in the midwest. I could really use a steering wheel that isn't rotting away.

The steering wheel(s) and seats were already gone but the 280Z turned out to be two 280ZX's and two 300ZX's but I got the starter and 2.2 ohm ignition coil off of one of the 280ZX's. I think the starter is a gear reduction type based on the output drive shaft appearing to be offset from the center of the rest of the starter.

post-18366-14150824970967_thumb.jpg

I believe I read that a 280ZX starter will work on a 240Z. Got a GEN YOU WINE Bridgestone 175X14 to check fitment in my 240Z spare tire well. Rubber is cracked a bit on the 175 though it is still holding air, won't be taking that out on the freeway. I wonder if that could be an original tire? Ran into two women in the JY, first time I saw any ladies there.

Grabbed some connectors while avoiding a large paper wasp condo. Those guys thought they owned that car for some reason and me with no wasp spray to overrule their conviction.

Also spotted a 73 Austin Healy, two MG midgets and a Porsche 928. My dad had a 928. I like to check out Porsche suspensions in a JY since they are supposed to handle well but didn't see anything unusual to my untrained eye.

Gah, wasps are no joke when you find them in a car. I've been there, done that and had the welts to show for it.

That may very well be an original tire.

At least you got some decent stuff for your time out there.

Wasp spray will just make them mad until the chemicals take affect. You need to take them out instantly, carb cleaner or electric motor cleaner in a spray can does the trick. They are on the ground feet up before they have a chance to get mad.

Bonzi Lon

I've cut out a pair of windshields using an razor knife. There is no way to save the rubber seal; either it's been glued to the windowframe or else it's in so dry and tight you couldn't "pop" it out without breaking teh windshield.

I successfully recovered one windshield, I broke the other.

What I found is that getting a USED windshield installed; well, you'll only pay $50-$75 more to get a NEW windshield installed. The seal, the labor, etc.....they're not in the BUSINESS of installing used windshields.

Virto,

Fortunately I spotted a wasp entering the crack at the front of the passenger door so I had a clue they were there. Investigating by opening that door brought a swarm out and I beat a hasty retreat. I was thinking about them as I crawled under the car from the driver's side to get the starter off but fortunately they weren't thinking about me.

Bonzi Lon,

I once threw what someone called mineral spirits on a wasp nest and was amazed that they dropped dead with no further wiggling, as you said faster than spray.

Wade Nelson,

Thanks for the windshield cut out info. I have to be careful at JY's so that I don't drag home stuff I don't actually need as I think they are fun.

Probably, I have lost my mind and any semblance of normalcy but I bought a rolling parts car in the form of a 73 240Z. I haven't brought it home yet. It is mostly stripped already with no engine, emblems, tail lights, dash, interior, but the price was right. I don't know what all might be good on it yet I just wanted spare parts plus glass and fenders. It didn't seem too rusty. The plan is to remove everything I can and take the rest to the recycler something hard for me to do even with a car in this condition. I have met the enemy, and he is me. I hope this doesn't mean the addiction has actually gotten worse (with the starting point being a near obsession). heh heh.

Edited by Mikes Z car