auto trans oil drain plug location - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

auto trans oil drain plug location

Featured Replies

Just bought a 77 280z with auto trans. I try to change the auto trans fluid. I have changed trans fluid on a few other cars. The drain plug is usually located on the trans pan. But I can't seem to find the transmission oil drain plug in the 280z. Any ideas?

there is no drain plug. you have to pull the pan to drain the fluid

Not sure how great an idea it is to rely on gunk in the AT to prevent slipping. It's easy enough to adjust the bands - just need a small torque wrench - the Haynes manual says adjust to "exactly ___" (have to look it up). I'm no expert but the way I change the fluid is:

1. Put the front wheels on ramps.

2. remove the pan carefully, pour it into a big plastic pan.

3. take off the RH cooler line at the radiator and drain it into a container.

4. run the engine for a few seconds to get the fluid out of the torque converter (into the container).

5. adjust the bands and clean the screen and the pan.

6. bolt it back up. Put in the fluid. The AT won't work until it runs for a few seconds and fills up the torque converter.

Edited by Stanley

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.