IGNORED

have finally learned a bout clutch replacement , Butt not enough !

fuzze

hello all , have just replaced the clutch with a new 4 piece kit , turned flywheel and reinstalled . wen't like clockwork , untill it came off stands and i tried to press clutch pedal down and it went from soft to nothing . was able to engage into first with difficulty and drove away to turn car around and that was my last fun with our new install . I put back up and looked at slave cylinder and the piston is bottem ed out and shows no return at all with a application . Everything was great before replacement for a slipping issue . could my slave chosen to die by coincidence or has something happened to my MC . transmission is now also identified as it came out and was able to see serial # 7922151 L5 and what looks like wire feed writing #4-7-2 , From a 79 280z my guess .

Thanxz for any suggestions and enjoy your weekend

Chris

My guess is you installed a "short" pressure plate in place of a "tall" pressure plate. We went through this with the last clutch. The clutch kits seem to mix them up sometimes. To fix it you need to get a tall pressure plate or a longer throw-out bearing collar. Datsun used 2 or more combinations of pressure plate/collar combos over the years. They all add up to the same distance from the flywheel surface to the release arm, about 92 mm.

Beer man pete , as I ponder what might have happened ,this makes sense what you say . My 71 has had a tran swap and a 5 speed put in as you see from my previous post the # I could make out is prob a 79 z so I will do some cross ref with parts people who know my z . thanxz for your input , the weathr is finally good so I need my z fix soon .

Chris

transmission is now also identified as it came out and was able to see serial # 7922151 L5 and what looks like wire feed writing #4-7-2 , From a 79 280z my guess .

Chris

Bearing collar is a common issue and easily made. Specially when the tranny is not original.

I dont think the serial number is year related. I have a close ratio 5 speed in my 280Z that came out of a ZX and it has serial number # 7356248. Don't know which year ZX it was though. This 5 speed was not made in 1973.

Chas