Pertronix Burn-Out - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Pertronix Burn-Out

Featured Replies

I'm in the process of installing a Pertronix on my '72. I have read so many conflicting wiring instructions it makes my head swim. One consistency, though, is don't leave your ignition on without the engine running or you canburn out the Pertronix.

I can imagine a simple circuit, but I cannot design it.

A relay that shuts off power to the Pertronix if it dees not sense an ingntion pulse within a minute or so. Resets with turn-off of ignition power.

One of you geniuses out there can cesign it so it can be built for about $10, and save the rest of us the replacement cost several times over.

How about it?

BAM

Surprising that that is still a problem. Most modern electronic modules are designed to remove this issue. Also surprising that Pertronix doesn't have an add-on solution. Maybe that's where some of the Pertronix failures come from.

You could run the output through a GM HEI module and let the HEI control the coil. Module triggering module. The HEI module doesn't put full current through the coil unless the engine is running. It would be kind of goofy but I think that it would work. $25.

Maybe sense voltage where an electric fuel pump cutoff would connect, on the oil pressure sending unit or similar, with a comparator like an op amp connected to a 555 timer? That could control a relay applying power to the Pertronix. I wouldn't trust my own design for something that might make the engine stop.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.