IGNORED

Engine swaping?

Shiin

:confused: I had a Z before it was totaled and am still looking for anohter 1970 to 1973 240z. I wanted to know before I go ahead a buy another Z about swaping the engine out of it. I was wondering if an EFI engine would work in it, I don't want a small block v8 or a v6 in it. I want to go with 4 cyclinder, but one with a good amount of power. If I did, what thing would i have to do to it? I know i need something that could control the electronics without fully wiring up for the car, but I was also wondering if I used the engine out of a 1991-1995 MR2 turbo, how would I be able to get the transmission on the car to work properly. I was also wondering if the rear axle would have to be replaced. Please help with these questions and please give any other information you can. Thanks for the help

I would go with a L18 or a L20 engine from a early datsun pickup. There are still alot of high performance parts for this engine and alot of guys with 510's have them also. I have heard of getting about 200 horsepower or better naturally aspirated. The plus side is that you don't have to change the transmission because all L series engines bolt up to it. If you want any references E-mail me

Hey, thanks ninja240z that sounds like a better idea. I'll look into that engine. Thanks for the advise. I hope I can find a 240Z soon. I am so impactient to get another one. I'll try to do some research my self, but if I need any help I will always turn to this site or your e-mail for advise. Thanks again ninja240z!!!

• 1 month later...

Another option (if you want to splurge a tad more $$ into the car) is to get a japan spec SR20DET engine (2 liter 4 banger turbo, with a bottom end that's capable of handling a lot of boost in stock form). An engine and tranny will cost a bit more than an L18 or L20 for sure, but will yield higher output in stock form. It all depends whether you want the car to be EFI or carbed.

However, I was wondering why you'd want a lower displacement engine (ignoring my previous statement) in the Z? weight? economy? If you're looking for the easiest way to get more power and simplest bolt on - I'd suggest an L28T out of a 280zx-turbo. Weighs just a tad more than the l24, and it's pretty much a bolt in. And it shouldn't be too expensive

Thanks for the advise, but for now I have put purchasing a Z on hold to finish school:mad: I don't want to, but I'll get a Z after I finish school and have more money to do so. Thanks for the info though.

:rolleyes: I still look for a Z every once and a while.

-jesse