IGNORED

Replaced Steering Rack Bushings - Now Tires are Misaligned???

73str86

I searched through the forums...just as the title states. I replaced the steering rack bushings with new OEM rubber while the engine was out of my 1973 240z.

The car did not move during installation. I admit it was a pain to put the bushings in, but after enough wd-40 and wiggling the rack itself, I was able to bolt the clamps back on successfully. I also refilled the rack with grease and zip-tied the boots. My Dad did kick one of the tires to help the process.

My father is convinced that moving the tires while the steering rack was unbolted could not mis-align the tires--because it's a solid unit so to say between the wheels.

Now when rolling the car back and forth you can hear the tire(s) rubbing because one is kinked in a little bit...probably the one he kicked.

Is this possible? Does it make sense, or am I crazy? How do I solve this?

post-25856-14150823308836_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150823309634_thumb.jpg

:stupid:

Yes, in theory, if you never loosened up either of the tie rod ends, then the alignment should not have been affected. Steering wheel position could shift, but basic alignment should still hold.

That said, if I replaced my bushings, I would not be surprised at all to find I changed the alignment some. "Shouldn't" change, but...

• 1 month later...