Distributor Help - Page 3 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Distributor Help

Featured Replies

Naaa. Don't take anything apart if you got it running. All of the manuals say that when you look down into the distributor hole the small half moon should be at the front when at #1TDC, but I guess you could put it wherever you want as long as you adjust the spark plug wires to make up for it.

Out of curiosity, now that it runs... Can you take a pic of the engine bay showing the distributor and wires?

  • Author

Captain,

I applaud your curiosity.

Here is a picture of the engine, I am pointing to the #1 spark plug wire.

Regards,

Fastdpost-26325-14150823048709_thumb.jpg

post-26325-14150823047353_thumb.jpg

post-26325-14150823048118_thumb.jpg

Nothing jumps out at me as being out of the ordinary. I was half expecting to see the #1 wire on the rear side of the cap back by the carbs.

I can't really explain how yours works fine with the small half moon to the rear when my car (and all the service manuals) say to put the small half moon to the front, but whatever works.

Only other thought I have is that what you were thinking was TDC on #1 was actually TDC for #6. I remember you said that you pulled the valve cover to verify that you were, in fact, on TDC#1, so other than that, I got nuthin'. :)

Anyway, like I said, whatever works. If it's running fine now, then I say don't mess with success, right? Unless someone else has a theory...

Great pics by the way.

  • Author

Is it possible that the distributor was somehow rebuilt and assembled with the shaft backwards? Is that even possible?

I had mine completely apart a few months ago, but I don't remember. I would assume it only goes together one way.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.