IGNORED

Can I wrap a coated header?

ksbeta

I've read all the opinions posted on other forums. People seem to thing wrapping headers is evil, with rusting and potentially compromising your header's metal integrity... etc.

The header wrap on my '70 did a great job. No idea if it's destroying the metal, but it keeps temps down.

I'm looking at these coated headers on MSA, but would feel inclined to wrap them still. More can't hurt, right? Or can it? Will it burn off the coating faster? Is any of this important at all? Friday's shouldn't have this much thinking going on.

i wrap dirt bikes at every opportunity

The Evil:

Parts to seem to rust faster on the bikes. put into perspective though your talking about a severe situation with moisture and the headers still look fine after 5-6 years of use with only a cheap black OEM coating. Im guessing they will last about 15 years this way.

The pros:

Reduced exterior temps, higher efficiency in the motor and all the stuff you want

In my totally non-professional opinion wrapping a coated header shouldn't be any different except the external temps wont be as high as a standard one. The coating will also help protect against rust mitigating the "evils" of wrapping. I would wrap (in fact this is my exact plan) and just accept the fact that you may need to buy a header in 10-15 years. If you are really worried remove the wrap in 5 years and check the header then buy new wrap and do it over again

• 3 weeks later...