IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

thought it's time to show you my other part of the car, chassis number one, and all the aftermarket parts i bought so far:

Chassis Nr 1 and the rotisserie i built for the Z's:

P1030894-Kopie.jpg

it's totally stripped now, but has a few problem-zones, so i will see which one i'll complete as soon as the black one is stripped too :)

and the parts:

Saito Rollcage from japan:

P1040199-Kopie.jpg

Kyo-Ei (Japan) extended wheel studs:

P1050808-Kopie.jpg

Rocky Auto Japan Tension rods:

P1050810-Kopie.jpg

NAMS (Nagisa Auto Motor sport japan) Tierod end links (compared to the OEM ones):

P1050594-Kopie.jpg

Zedd findings replacement floor panels:

P1070398-Kopie.jpg

Energy suspension Master bushing kit (plus a few extra bushings for the swaybars):

P1050680.jpg

HKB Japan steering boss kit:

p1030890-kopie.jpg

Trust Japan Header:

p1030888-kopie.jpg

Tow hooks (custom made in Japan):

P1040574-Kopie.jpg

Kameari Japan leather "Z" shift knob:

P1040191-Kopie.jpg

Tokico (Japan) Blue shocks:

P1050749-Kopie.jpg

Got all the sub-floor parts sandblasted and powedercoated in satin black:

P1050751-Kopie.jpg

post-23319-14150821309339_thumb.jpg

and the holy grail:

a brand new NOS RS-Watanabe "Falcon" steering wheel:

P1060053-Kopie.jpg

also a whole bunch of OEM-parts ready for the re-install like Ball joints, wheel bearings, seals and stuff:

P1050611-Kopie.jpg

also bought a few used panels, taillights and a set of JDM Datsun 510 Fender mirrors, which will be reassembled with the longer 240Z bases i have to a set of OEM JDM 240Z mirrors:

P1050951-Kopie.jpg

and a lot of other small pieces and a few truckloads still need to be ordered - hope you see where my project goes :)

here we have two better pics of the chassis nr one :)

1) when i bought it:

P1020090-Kopie.jpg

2) how it looks now (completely stripped to bare shell):

P1050909-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no update. I‘ve been busy making some extra space in the garage and clean up the mess there :D Also I removed a lot of paint and thought it wouldn’t make sense to post pictures of every bit of junk I removed so far :D

This is how it looks on the outside currently, lot of paint removed just for fun:

P1080099-Kopie.jpg

Lots of surface rust underneath. anyway i continued with removing some of the insulation in the trunk:

P1080165-Kopie.jpg

next on the list was get out the interieur behind the seats and look how the structure is underneath:

P1080145-Kopie.jpg

P1080149-Kopie.jpg

P1080162-Kopie.jpg

P1080164-Kopie.jpg

Found a big hole on the passenger side rear inner wheel well:

P1080163-Kopie.jpg

Now after i've seen a few things on the black car i feel like i have a plan again:

The white (first car) seems to have better base structures, so at the moment i think i'll go with the white car. If the front end of the black one is good (on the white it isn't, also due to a lot of bad repair-attempts) i'll use the entire front-end of the black car. So Disassembly of the black car's front end is what's up next:

P1080166-Kopie.jpg

more to come on the front-end :)

In the meanwhile it got pretty freezy in the garage again and i feel a bit sorry for the white shell sitting outside in the cold, will put it back into the garage soon, or find another home while i work on the black car:

P1080167-Kopie.jpg

Then i had a few dollars left on my paypal account last month so i thought this is a good excuse to buy some small parts from MSA (zcarparts): Got a set of NOS rear pillar emblems as well as a hood emblem:

P1080168-Kopie.jpg

Hi Nils, Looking good. Nice parts gathering your got going. Well you have a good parts car for your project.

Is the black z a euro or a us import with euro taillights? Sounds like the white one was us, with the corvette taillight mod.

My z is a us import. I spent 18 months looking for one. All the euro models are in pretty bad condition due to the salt in winter.

Chas

Hi Chas, thanks for the feedback.

both are genuine swiss market Z's, Every car was marked in japan to which market/Counry it will be delivered:

How i know this? On the glove box liner there are three japanese katakana characters (ス イ ス) which means Su-I-Su and stands for Suisse, see here:

p1020176-kopie2.jpg

Also both of the cars came with non american features like a 5-speed manual gearbox and without the terrible us-bumpers.

Swiss models have specific corner-lights on top of the bumper

istead of underneath them, because of the minimum-hight corner lights had to have here these days and the OEM ones were to low.

The Corvette tail-light conversion (or maybe it was a Opel GT conversion) was done here by one of the previous owners i think. this was something "cool" back in the "manta, manta days" :D

It's currently -3°C in the garage (26.6°F) in the garage, but some good work keeps me warm :D Started disassembly of the front end today, t his will alow me to remove the fenders to check the structure of the chassis in the front.

1) Removed the front-bumper with the swiss-spec Corner lights. It's slightly dented but repairable.

P1080169-Kopie.jpg

here it's gone:

P1080170-Kopie.jpg

2) next was the front lower panel, it's quite bent but usable:

P1080174-Kopie.jpg

next on the list was the grille, but i wasn't able to remove all the screws so i let them soak in some WD40 for a while :) While working i found the VIN-tag plate:

P1080172-Kopie.jpg

and noticed a weird thing: Even if both cars are 1972 Swiss-spec cars they have different oil filler caps. here's the one i found in the black car:

P1080173-Kopie.jpg

and here the "elephant" type oil filler cap from the white one. Of course i'll go with this one :)

P1060015-Kopie.jpg

Hi Nils,

I was wondering about the turn signal light above the front bumper. Never seen them before. In NL they wouldnt pass my CA Import until I disabled the turn signals on the side for safety reasons, but he coul not explain why:stupid:. Crazy when you think about it. Now you cant see the indicators from the side because 280z front indicators are zunk in the grill above the bumper.

Chas

PS: did Heiko pick up his roadster from a guy near Groningen NL? There is a guy there with 7 or 8 off them ( cant remember exactly) and a true roadster fan.

Those headers are the same ones that came with my parts car...I had never seen them before any information on them?

you mean the blue one? It's a trust / greddy one, it's out of production since a while. i have part numbers and drawings if you need more information. just let me know ;)

i got one of the last NOS parts from the greddy japan stock, but now it's no mor avialeble.

Those headers are the same ones that came with my parts car...I had never seen them before any information on them?

you mean the blue one? It's a trust / greddy one, it's out of production since a while. i have part numbers and drawings if you need more information. just let me know ;)

i got one of the last NOS parts from the greddy japan stock, but now it's no mor avialeble.

Hi Nils,

I was wondering about the turn signal light above the front bumper. Never seen them before. In NL they wouldnt pass my CA Import until I disabled the turn signals on the side for safety reasons, but he coul not explain why:stupid:. Crazy when you think about it. Now you cant see the indicators from the side because 280z front indicators are zunk in the grill above the bumper.

Chas

PS: did Heiko pick up his roadster from a guy near Groningen NL? There is a guy there with 7 or 8 off them ( cant remember exactly) and a true roadster fan.

Yeah those turn signals are some swiss specific because original location was to low for swiss law, but i will change them to standard under-the-bumper type now, already got some panels and stuff :D

Yeah Heiko changed his roadster with a guy from netherlands. so the guy in netherlands now got a rarer year model from heiko and heiko has got one in better condition, but i don't know whick guy he got it from, only know he swapped cars with a guy from the netherlands ;)