IGNORED

Restoration 1970 240 Z

WDILL

Enrique,

Sorry for the long delay in answering your question. I did not know Col Howe. I retired in 1999 and have been with FEDEX for 7 years. I just sent my Z to the Rod Shop of Memphis to start the restoration process finally. I'll be doing the searching for parts, etc. and leave the labor to those with room and equipment.

Wally Dill

• 3 years later...

VIN 3435 is back home but only about 60% complete and missing about $1800 worth of parts that were paid for but supposedly stolen. I'm still sorting parts old and new, found that I need to relook at all parts on the car now to make sure they have been connected correctly (found several that were not bolted on or connections complete).

What are these holes for in the baggage area. It appears that there was sound proofing material over them?post-926-14150812461658_thumb.jpg

What are these holes for in the baggage area. It appears that there was sound proofing material over them?[ATTACH]38573[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure that they have a name, or even exactly what the purpose was. Maybe to save some (minimal) weight or for ventilation if water got in that area? That material that covered them was tar mat, the same as on the floor. The car was painted after the tar mat was applied. On the very early (first several hundred) cars they did not put tar mat on the rear deck. Here is a picture of the rear deck on my HLS30-00032 and you can see there is no tar mat. Your car is late enough that it would have had it.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with the restoration shop.

-Mike

post-9102-14150812464587_thumb.jpg

Wally,

Aha! I also have an early 1970 240 and haven't got to pulling off that coating material on the back floor yet but I would say those holes are a great place to squirt anti corrosion material into. On newer cars I believe under there is where the tire tools go and there are doors there for access. Hmmm. It would be under the carpet and not visible, I might put doors there. Thanks for the picture.

Mike

Hi Walter:

Yea Gad... over three years and you get it back 60% complete and missing $1800.00 in parts !!! This is really a shame, and it happens all too often. I would really like to see criminal fraud charges brought against these people. This is far worse than just bad business practices.

I too bought my first Z in 1970 while in the USAF, for that matter I bought my second Z at the end of 71 while still in the USAF.. {Fairchild AFB}.

Good luck getting your car completed...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I agree with Carl. Many of these "restoration" places need to be rudely awakened. My buddies 72 Challenger convertible is undergoing a three year resto-rape as well. Peppered with excuses and shoddy workmanship. The worse part is that the shop continues to hold the vehicle, and the cash. His legal advisor says that there is not much he can do.

Sorry to hear that after three years the Z is not in a deserving condition.

• 2 years later...

Differential question: See attached pictures. I'm cleaning the exterior of the diff and wonder if anyone knows what the numbers on the top and bottom mean. The first picture has 209 then 70 6 2/6 in a circle then @ T 22. The second has A, then 38811, the E4600, then B. 209 is parallel to the rear cover edge. I would like to put the info in the documentation I'm trying to keep on the restoration.

post-926-14150824146778_thumb.jpg

post-926-14150824145553_thumb.jpg

post-926-14150824146042_thumb.jpg