IGNORED

Torby's 240Z Project

Torby

Woa. Thread ressurection. Work has been slow, but I've managed to finish the engine, and been gathering parts.

post-22755-14150829534125_thumb.jpg

post-22755-14150829534938_thumb.jpg

post-22755-14150829536661_thumb.jpg

Bolts and hardware has been acid dipped and treated to look like OEM.

Distributor has been cleaned up, new rotor and cap, new turbo oil pump, new water pump, new timing chain etc.

Also started cleaning up the wheels that are going on the car...

post-22755-14150829535624_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking! :classic:

• 1 month later...

Well, after a couple of weeks struggle, the car is back on it's feet again, and running. Still needs a bit of tuning, but very happy so far. Now I have only the exterior and the interior left. Oh, and the rear suspension. Sigh...

post-22755-14150829922634_thumb.jpg

post-22755-14150829923152_thumb.jpg

post-22755-14150829923573_thumb.jpg

post-22755-14150829924188_thumb.jpg

The front wheel gap is a little large, due to my lawn not being 100% flat.. LOL And don't mind the panel gaps, they will be sorted.

Thanks for looking! :)

George_Zed: Thanks! :classic: The wheels have been painted with clear coat at some point, so I removed the clear, wet sanded the wheels and polished them with metal polish. The picture shows wet sanded on the left and polished on the right, I just used a piece of masking tape to show the difference it makes. :classic:

Don't be fooled by the photo, they're far from perfect.

I'll break down the procedure:

1. Remove clear coat with paint stripper, careful with this, as some paint strippers can damage the aluminium.

2. Wet sand with 1500 grit (could go with more coarse paper, but I didn't have any). This takes a lot of time.

3. Polish. I used Autosol and Swissvax Metal Polish, combined with a battery drill.

You don't need to use a lot of polish, so one or two packs of Autosol would be enough for 4 wheels.

You can also use car polishes on bare alloy. Not the standard all-in-one bottles you buy at a gas station, but professional polishes like 3M, Megs MG-series etc.

Hope this helps :classic:

maybe you say that they are not perfect but for the money spent they are perfect ;)

I had a price quote to get my wheels (14') professional chromed and it was €330 , so I could be happy with non so perfect polished wheels with the cost of few euros ;)

thanks for the info and congrats on your car!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...