IGNORED

Door re-trimming - Help with chrome trim

Adzmax

I'm having my interior re-trimmed including the doors skins and and I'm a bit stuck on what to do for the chrome detail. The original door skins are high frequency welded and it's not an option to re-use them. I could leave them off altogether but I want to go as close to factory as possible. I've been considering using adhesive body moulding or chrome trim. Usually it's stuck on using 3M Auto adhesive so it's quite durable. I've found some trim which is close to the original here -

http://www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/body_5eights.htm

Have a look and see what you think, I'm looking at either Part #: MDG101 BLK or Part #: MDG106 Blk

Does anyone know of a local supplier that carries this sort of stuff or have any suggestions on alternatives?

I am having the same dilema. I have found some strip in a roll which is the same width as origional.

I don't know where the shop got it, but I could find out for you.

It has a peel strip, but I'm not sure if it is very sticky. I havn't followed up on it.

What width do you need?

Edited by olzed

I'm looking for something the in the same design is possible, with the two chrome strip and black in the middle like these -

post-18343-14150818961535_thumb.jpg

post-18343-14150818961667_thumb.jpg

I'll measure up the strip tonight and let you know.

I appreciate the help, thanks.

I considered this as well, but in the end I just left it off - primarily because of the extreme heat here in Texas will make the adhesive give way. It will suck to have your nice new interior done and then the trim fall off from the heat and be ugly..

That's an interesting solution Chuck, so you're actually reusing the original trim! I'd love to but the trim I have isn't in good condition, all the chrome is gone.

It's gets warm here in Australia, but not as hot as Texas so I think t will do the job. I'll use a stronger adhesive if required. I'm also thinking of having the area underneath stitched to the backing board to depress the area where the chrome work will be mounted. This will look more original and less like it's just stuck on.

Here is a picture of some original chrome work, it's approx 16mm in width.

post-18343-14150818966705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adzmax

That's an interesting solution Chuck, so you're actually reusing the original trim! I'd love to but the trim I have isn't in good condition, all the chrome is gone.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. You want to remove all the chrome so only the blue base layer is left. Scuff the blue with Scotchbrite and spray with a good 3M adhesive. Apply the Mylar to that and trim off the excess. Here's a panel (before and after) I did years ago. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics.

post-4368-14150818967477_thumb.jpg

Chuck

post-4368-14150818966926_thumb.jpg

Sorry no, I'm having the door skins remade. I need to find some chrome trim to add for detail. I thought you were saying you'd removed the chrome and refitted it on some skins you had made :)