IGNORED

Wiper blades don't stop (park themselves) in the correct position

Healeyalt

They seem to work fine, except when I turn them off, they park themselves in the straight up postion.

Before I start takening things apart, anyone have a thoughts on whether the problem is most likely in the combination switch on the steering column, in the wiper motor itself, or when I put things back together after cleaning the cowl area, is the linkage messed-up?

My service manual talks about relays, etc, but I'm not even sure where that stuff is.

Thanks

Gary

I think that the "parking" switches are actually inside the wiper motor assembly. I had my wiper motor rebuilt (76 280Z) at a local shop that also rebuilds for some of the online import car businesses. Worth contacting if you can't find anyone local to you. Their rates are reasonable.

http://www.philbingroup.com/industry_info.htm

http://www.philbingroup.com/philbin_rebuilt.htm

Thats kind of a bummer its inside the wiper motor assembly. I'm sure a new motor or rebuilt one won't be cheap plus I thought it was kind of a PITA getting the wiper linkage and motor put back in the cowl and now I can look forward to taking it all apart and doing it all over again. Oh Well.

On my 71 where the wipers stop depends upon where they are when you turn the switch off. If you catch it at the right time they park normally, If you catch them at the wrong time they park straight up like what you describe. I am sure that this isn't the designed operation, but with all the other issues that I had to work through over the past few years I never worked up the ambition to investigate this one little problem.

Walter, I can relate to the more pressing issues thing. I'll probably keep working on other priorities such as putting new fuel injectors on it, etc, until I have the time to take the wiper motor out of the cowl again and the money to get another motor even if I have to temporarily drive it with the wipers parked in the upright position.

When you are done, make sure the linkage is oriented properly! Place only the nuts on the wiper stems and mark with a silver Sharpe pen. Turn on the wipers and ensure that the mark is moving across the windshield properly (counter clockwise when looking out from the inside of the car). This little sanity check will prevent you from inadvertently having your wiper arms drag across the cowl -messing up your paint (and possibly your fingers!).