IGNORED

240K GT sedan

JMT240KGTR

Hi guys I know we recieved 240KGT coupes early on, but has anyone seen or heard of GT sedans in Australia. I've seen these overseas, but not in Oz.

Reason I ask is today I travelled out a bit and put money down on a supposed 240KGT 4 door sedan.

Compliance please doesn't specify anything re GT, just 240K. Rear quarters have the usual GT badges in place of GL, door cards are embossed with 240KGT, dash is also embossed with Skyline instead of the usual Datsun on the top LHS.

I suspect it may be a re-badged GL, but to get the dash and GT door cards wouldn't be easy in Australia. An import perhaps?

Rear tail light panel & grille removed by someone earlier for the sought after GT lights and unique grille. I thought GT's had the same grille. I know 2000GT's or 2000GTX had different grilles with the Skyline insignia.

Any info or if anyone can shed some light here would be appreciated, it's the first sedan I've seen or know of that's supposedly a genuine GT.

Cheers

I sold my sedan about 10years ago, went to Adelaide, it was a GL, re-badged with 240k GT Badges in and out, in fact had gt badges on all the doors, don't know where that's gone, if that's the K your looking at I would love to know..

The one I looked at today is in country Vic, re-sprayed white, dark metallic blue original paint underneath. It's manual also, will get to look further into it when I get it home in a week or so. Body is very, very straight with minimal rust. Perhaps it was yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My old 2 door 240kGT had "Datsun coupe GT" stamped into the compliance plate, and was complied 1/73. The UK got GT sedan's i believe (all through the years i think).. but none in Australia. Not sure if the UK cars had Datsun or skyline on the dash.

only the earliest coupes seemed to have slipped past with the GT moniker.. the only other major differences i know of are the 4 speed manual gearboxes, better flowing intake manifolds and of course badging.

if the compliant plate looks geniuine and matching, then i doubt it would be an import (assuming they had the protection back then that exists today), and a personal import would have a different compliance plate. Sounds like an enthusiast rebadged it all perhaps when it was resprayed?

i have collected a few JDM tail lights (both red outers) over the years from australian cars, purely out of luck, so it must have been a fairly common practice (JDM grill's arn't unheard of either)

being originally metallic blue, is it a 75+ model?

Kent

Edited by khughes

that's cool, I have only ever seen the basic colours in the early coupes that i have come across (yellow must have been hugely popular at that!).

The only metallic car i had seen was a later model sedan in a wreckers (i managed to grab a PERFECT dashboard from it.. massive surprise since the car was missing the front windscreen.. downside was that it was blue, but after some black die, and some slight modifications to fit the earlier dash frame, it was perfect!)

good to know! wonder if metallic coupes were offered?

Yep, my latest one was like yellow, it is a nice stainless steel colour now :)

i will go through my pics and see what it was, i am sure i have a photo of the plates somewhere..

Couldn't find the picture of the sticker, but found reference in the parts manual (well a scan of it, thanks to Jim!) :- 170

post-6769-14150818738245_thumb.jpg

Edited by khughes