IGNORED

gas tank help!?

guru1974

I havent been a member long but this forum has really helped with my new z.My tank is shot and i cant afford to 500 for a new one, was hoping someone here might have a decent one layin around for a fair price. im ready to be drivin my z and that and a sending uunit are all that's stopin me.please please help if yall can.

What makes your tank 'shot'?? Is it leaking, full of rust, what?? If it is full of rust and other crap, it might just need to be cleaned out and possibly coated. You can take to a local Radiator shop to get it boiled, coated and inspected if need be. Tell us more...

It just so happens that I have a spare tank for my 77 with the sending unit. I am not sure if I would part with it yet. but the sending unit I could perhaps send you.

The tank is really clean on the inside but it has a 3/4" hole drilled in the bottom from the junk yard that I plan to weld up someday. Where is plateau?

cumberland plateau in Tn. my new z and first is a 1977, must have been parked with full tank of fuel.9 i have broke finger so my typeing is not usually this badLOL)when i got it dropped and looked inside it was RUFF probly 1/3 full of sludge. i saw it on a sales site and sold my bike to get it. i remember this car from when i was a kid .still havent found out who had one yet.picked it up in glasgow,didn't run....was supposed to lot drive. brought homw anyway, and had it running in arround a week .normal rubbers, and electric. runs like a top. i brike the tac tryn to clean it up. still havnt decides wether the car will stay original or if im gonna biuld myself a little street racer to hurt my best friends feelins( he has a s c arrera) that he seldom drives LOL. so... sorry , it sits on stands right now waiting for tires and tank before a make any decisions. and...............yes i know i love pics as much as u guys do but im not great with computers either. the reason i like my old cars. this is my first" computer" car to build.

sorry again, the reason i think the tank is shot....... took to local raadiator shop ,and picked it back up it still has all kinds of trash in it, he said there was a baffle in that style tank that kept him from getting it clean i havent even fooled with it myself been trying to finish up a car i am hoping to sell.

PM me and I can arrange to send it to you. But first off are you sure you're sending unit is shot? The spare I have has been tested and works. regarding your tank, it still may be salvageable. You would get more advice if you could send pics. try aiming a camera down the filler hole.

When I first got my car it had quite a bit of rust from it sitting pron for to long, this caused the fuel lines and pump to clog up. I drained the tank and swished a chain and new gas around in it till I had most of the loose crud out.I installed a fram (g3?) filter just outside the tank to catch anything before it could reach the fuel pump. I have only had to replace it once in 2 years. I am sure there are better treatments for your tank than what I did but it is worth it to try. You may wish to take it to a different radiator shop also for a second opinion.

Edited by grantf

LOL.copy that. i will get my "girlfriend" to fix my pics this week. and yeah the sending unit is obvious u will see a pic of it too. Well fortunately i did put a stock type fuel filter in before start up , however i hooked the pump straight to the tank but havnt had any issues before discovering the tank. i forgot to mention the car has been sitting 16 years almost full .it had to be full when it was parked cause the sludge was 1/3 the capacity of the tank LOL. the engine runs really good i cant wait to be driving this car regularly. plan a 5 speed for sure. i have to pay as i go so, its a little slower than an open budget. oh and i gotta find a hatch sometime mine is pretty bad also.AND, before anyone gets me......i know, check tank first.....i got excited when i had everything replaced and ready to turn over, hooked it right up and never thought twice, total error on my part.

Once you get the fuel system straightened out, I would suggest seafoam treatment for the first tank. You may also need to replace many if not all of the rubber hoses. remember to use hose for FI and FI clamps.

Pic of sending unit. remember we love to see pics.

click this link: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm

post-17660-14150818494521_thumb.jpg

Edited by grantf

gonna get a bunch of pics this weekend i hope and have a friend of mine get them up here. as far as the engine, i already went thru the electrical and engine compartment hoses and vac lines, not the a/c system or coolant rubbers but they are next. like i said its been sitting 16 years. i am pretty sure they were chasing the short i found.that sending unit looks brand new compared to mine.LOL.the reason i say this is it looked like someone had already been searching the harnesses and fuse block and relays un bolted but hooked up not completely invasive like i did.one of the shorts ended up being a barely corroded tail light. well, i gotta get to work on my place. once i get settled in good and organized i will try to get to know everybody, these little cars are incredibly cool, think i fell in love at 8or 10 years old .still trying to find out who had one.