IGNORED

Triple Mikuni Heat Shield

ksbeta

I've gotten lucky in many ways so far with this Mikuni project, but it's looking like I might have to bite the bullet here... All I can find for a heat shield online looks to run around the $150 ballpark. That seems extreme to me, but considering I won't/can't make my own, perhaps that's the point. I haven't reached out to the race shops yet, but does anyone know something obvious I'm missing in terms of sourcing one of these?

Is it that you can't (lack know-how) make your own, or your just too lazy (won't) to make one. Seems like an easy enough thing to make out of 0.040 aluminum.

Bill - sorry for the rough start of this thread - first of all welcome to the site. I notice that you are only an 90 min drive from me. I am in the Boone area. We have some great driving roads in our neck of the woods - do you get to the Boone area or the Blue Ridge Parkway often? I opted not to make a heat shield for my car due to the fact that I wanted my engine bay to look like it does.......the first thing eyes go to is my Mikuni's. I really wanted a great looking (and working) heat shield.

Review the lower thread and it should have all the info that you need to assist in with you finding the heat shield. PM me if I can assist any with your quest.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?42045-Wolf-Creek-Racing-Mikuni-40-s

Thanks for the input All:

I researched OER ($70+ship), JCCJDM.com (~$160), eBay, Craigslist, read through the forums, and dug through Japan's Yahoo Auctions ($70+Ship) with my browser's translate feature prior to posting here.

Unfortunately the word Mikuni is used on this site as frequently as the term "Blonde" is on the internet as a whole, and "Heat Shield" yieldled some folks talking about $150 parts from Japan and making them at home. I was hoping to catch an obvious source I had missed; Mikunis are a new area for me.

I do not have the tools, space, parts, metal-working know-how, or desire to make one myself. I am not what you call "Crafty" in that sense and unless I want my heat-shield to look like the lid of an old metal trash can, I don't very much want to go that route. I wouldn't chalk it up to laziness, but perhaps you might.

Travel'n Man: I appreciate the PM and the help; that thread was a good read and admittedly I had not stumbled upon it yet. It was even more beneficial to find a source for all the stubborn linkage parts that I've been fumbling on Japanese websites for. I had already tasked my brother to work up CAD drawings for one of the linkage Arms. Time to tell him to stop working.

Datsun Spirit out here in Manassas has them for $80, and I can pick it up Saturday. The problem solved itself.

Thanks everyone for the help. Let's call this horse dead.