Gear Reduction Starter v. Standard - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Gear Reduction Starter v. Standard

Featured Replies

As I understand it, a gear reduction starter helps primarily on higher compression engines. Am I correct?

If so, is there any advantage to using one when the existing starter (now 41 years old) is functioning properly?

Thanks.

No, unless it's in better condition, I suppose. If the current starter is functioning fine, there is no need to replace it.

The gear reduction starter is a bit lighter and will take less battery power to crank the car over, but otherwise, both will work fine. Only upgrade when the old one dies.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.