IGNORED

Need a source for the original production data 240z

2manytoys

date on B-pillar tag is built 9/70

vin number is hls30 107**

safari gold, stick shift alloy wheels, one owner, in storage since 1986

less than 50k. This Z has a story, and i tossed it in for the entertainment factor.

I am not an authority on Japanese vehicles, and never had to be due to the fact that I had a guy in New Zealand who bought every one that crossed my path. He retired and set sail , so now I have to learn and I am finding that the information online is incomplete and inconsistent. The vin number on most cars carries a wealth of information, such as color, interior, options, sub-model , and build plant. Can some one point me in the right direction where i can find the secret decoder ring that gives me the history of this Z car's birth? I know its out there somewhere, but I have better luck refolding a road map then finding information about these sporty beasts. I would love to be able to know if the lower body stripe and the alloy rims are original options, along with other unanswered questions. I thank the Guru who bestows me with his knowledge and wisdom in advance.

The Z car was owned by the wife of the West coast's premier corvette restoration guy. He always considered the car to be a cheap Japanese knock-off of the car he loved so dear. The Z was damaged in a store parking lot, seems the hit and run vehicle had a trailer hitch which hooked the bumper and bent it in two in his haste to flee the scene of the crime. Wife had the car towed home, and in the house garage it went. The husband had no interest in having his shop fix it, and when the wife went on a vacation with friends, he called his son and said "go get the tow truck and get this THING out of my garage". The Son put it in storage where it stayed, until the estate contacted me to pick it up. I asked the executor of the estate if there was any papers besides the registration and title. He told me that knowing his mother's book keeping skills, he was sure that there would be a nissan file stuffed with everything from purchase to the day it was parked. I called and left messages and even contacted the law firm handling the estate, to no avail. I was tempted to explain the car's value would go up with datsun's original documents and bill of sale. This is one of those RARE occasions when the family does not have the notion that this car is worth millions. The value they set will make this an easy car to find a home for and to raise their expectations would be as smart as me searching for wife number 5. I actually caught myself trying to figure out if the Z would fit in my garage if i kicked the riding lawn mower out in the cold, but hey how expensive could it be to build yet another garage. I used to collect wives, now its cars, i find them to be more dependable, and they usually turn over when i need them.

The vin number does not really tell you anything but the order the car was built in, Kind of.

Your can look at this site to get some info. http://www.editgrid.com/user/mlwilliams/Z_Car_Registry

Or this site for some info. http://zhome.com/

Other will chime in and give you more info. if you ask something specific.

Thank you MGOOD and 240ZGL for taking the time to answer, you have made it so simple. I looked at lots of pictures, and couldn't find the exact rims, or stripe package, but it makes perfect sense. I looked at the registration site, and learned that the cars close in vin number to mine were all "orange" and that says alot about the "cookie cutter build". Only in the last ten years or so have Japanese cars been considered collectable and there is very little in the lines of CPI guides, or publications to help establish originality and value. Just recently we got a 1967 Elcamino 396 4spd buckets, console ss rims dual exhaust . With the vin number and body tag it took a matter of minutes to determine that these items were all original equipment on this car. So understand my frustration when i couldn't find any literature to establish this 240z as an original car, with factory equipment. Now i understand how they are built, it answers many questions. Last month we got a Nissan 200 SX SEV6 and was told by the local Nissan dealer and 240SX owner's club that "Nissan never put a V-6 in the 200 for the American market. The world is full of "experts" with bad information, I am glad I have found an excellent resource with truly knowledgeable folks. The 240Z has not been on the road since 1986, and the rear brake shoes had welded themselves to the drums, and the engine would not turn over. Both items have been fixed and I will drive it home from the shop tomorrow, and take a few pictures and post them here and I thank you once again.