IGNORED

HID Headlight Conversion

Dr_rich

Hella makes good housings.

Make sure you are getting the optimal voltage to the H4 bulbs (a relay harness helps in this regard).

Use a good quality bulb. I have my favorites but do not want to turn this into an infomercial.

Check alignment of the headlights to get the best visibility and the least annoyance to other drivers sharing the road with you.

FWIW: All HID 'kits' are illegal and really do not work well in a standard H4 housing. There is just way too much stray light.

All of the current 'kits' are sourced from China and the quality of components plus the spurious base modifications to the tube show really low QC.

Some of the components exhibit famous brands and DOT compliance. Big grains of salt here.

I have in the past tested a few DOT HB2 legal fluted lens housings and the coarseness of the fluting along with the more enclosed shadow cap do make them a better candidate for such a 'conversion',

but still not the best way to go.

From aerial views of all 'kits' the beam is bright but not well disbursed nor have the depth (range) associated with a quality product.

Do not misinterpret what I'm writing. I love HID's, in OE applications. I've driven a lot of cars with them and they are addictive, especially the bi-xenon applications on Mercedes and Porsche.Great coverage on the low beam and unbelievable range and visibility on high, Truly set up for Autobahn. Over driving your headlights? Unlikely.

Good luck. If you find something that you think is good post pictures.

Edited by H4LIGHTS

Wow, good feedback guys. I appreciate it.

I have been doing a great deal of research on this, and while I do love the visibility of the HID system, I am very certain that I don't want to blind other drivers with my headlights.

As much as I am wanting to, I have decided that I won't.

So now it brings me to what is the best H4 bulb out there that will work with my Hella E code glass enclosures?

And by best, I mean the brightest natural light and possibly the most efficient (?) bulbs.

I know H4's are somewhat power hogs, so is there a good, efficient bulb out there?

For the record, I do have Dave Irwin's headlight relay harness and it works perfect. I HIGHLY recommend it.

And secondly, Has anyone replaced their incandescent bulbs (Brake, turn, park lights, etc) with LED bulbs in their 240z?

I am currently in the process of attempting to go 100% LED to spare my 38 year old wiring some current draw.

I have done a great deal of research on this also, and I am making some headway on what works and doesn't work well.

I will be sharing the process in a writeup in about 2-3 weeks when I have everything installed.

Thanks again guys!

Richard

Thanks guys. As always, it's appreciated.

Richard,

Don't forget that I do the complete LED Conversion for the Tail lights, front marker/turn signals and I do a sidemarker LED insert kit. PM, me if you're interested. I just ordered a butt-load of LED's so now's the time to consider it.

Arne and others are correct, I love my HID's but in the wrong housings, they are unsafe for other drivers. Great for you on a dark road with no oncoming traffic, but not for that traffic.

Dave

I would highly recommend Dave's LED taillight conversion, i just installed mine tonight (finally) and the quality is extremely impressive. Mine are JDM style and Dave helped me tremendously by pre wiring them for the slight change in lighting and providing excellent help when I had questions.

For me it's a look thing, but also safety; these are much easier to see but they aren't annoyingly bright.

Thumbs up from me.