Can you drive 280z with the dash out? How? - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Can you drive 280z with the dash out? How?

Featured Replies

I have the dash out to do some work on it and benand I need to take the car over to a mechanic friend of mine to finish up a speedometer cable problem that I paid him for and he did not do it correct. So, is there a way to drive the Z with the dash out?

Also, I need to put some sort of heat barrier inside the car. What is a inexpensive way to do that? What is the best stuff to do that? I know there is DynaPad.

  • Author

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. I was hoping it was just a matter of running two to 4 wires from the ignitian to the harness block.

For a not-as-expensive heat shielding in your car try duct insulation. I got mine at Lowes and it comes in several sizes. It has an adhesive back and about 1/8" insulation topped by shiney foil. It has worked out excellently in my car. It was easily cut with scissors and formed to the floors, trans tunnel, firewall, rear deck, etc. While I haven't taken any readings with a decibel meter it seems much quieter and not as hot inside the car. I did lay it over some "Q-Pads" that I had put in previously for sound insulation.

Cheers, Mike

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I do not think I am worried about it. However this is a one owner Z that has all orriginal parts. I have had the undercarriage completely recoated. I do live in the south. Is there a huge problem with moisture or is it just a maybe?

No, I'm not actually. Here in Colorado we live in a very dry climate, I don't drive it in the rain if it can be avoided, and I check the carpets and underpad somewhat frequently. I have sealed the rubber plugs so no moisture gets in from underneath, and I haven't noticed any moisture getting in from outside. So far, so good. The product I used is not that different from the very expensive products available for sound deadening, just much cheaper.

Cheers, Mike

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.