IGNORED

Clutch problem

Brae

My clutch pedal goes down very easily to the floor, but comes back up still, and i can put the shifter into gear without having to depress the pedal, would having very little clutch fluid cause this? its below the minimum. I would go fill it up but i dont get to see the car everyday so im wondering if there is something else that I should look for if filling it up doesnt solve the problem next time i work on the car.its a 1976 280z if that helps. thank you

There is a return spring on the clutch pedal, it will come back up without the engine or trans in the car.

Low fluid can prevent clutch release but will not cause clutch slip.

When you say you can shift into gear without pressing the clutch is the engine running? If so, you need a clutch. If not it does indicate anything. Most syncromesh cars will shift into gear without the clutch when the engine is off (and the car is not moving).

Heres a pretty painless way to bleed your clutch, jack the passenger side up, place a 1.5-2 foot hose on the bleeder.

Next you will want to get an empty bottle (water bottle works good) Fill that with about 3'' of brake fluid, place the hose into the bottle and make sure its in the brake fluid. This will keep air from getting back up into the system.

Next you want to top off your master cylinder, then go crack open the bleeder valve. Pump the clutch pedal about 10 times and check the master cylinder. I usually do this 3-4 times to be sure.

Once you finish that, top off the master cylinder and go close the bleeder valve. there should be ZERO air in the system tell us what happens to clutch feel after you do this.

the master cylinder was empty and full of black stuff and the clutch function of pressing down was stuck in taht position so thats why no liquid was going through. after removing it and cleaning it up and making everything look new, we tried it again. The brake fluid was flowing fine but not out of the nipple... we looked on the ground and saw a puddle. the operating cylinder was missing the push rod, dust cover, piston spring, piston, piston cup. only the cylinder and the bleeder screw were there so the liquid just went all over the ground LOL. Thanks for the help, once i buy a new operating cylinder everything should be fine.