71 240Z. Another dashboard restoration. - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

71 240Z. Another dashboard restoration.

Featured Replies

Before my Z goes to the bodyshop, I decided to pull the dash and fix some wiring issues. Then I thought, why not try to repair the three LARGE cracks in the dash. What have I got to lose. I started by using a razor to cut into and taper the cracks. After doing this the cracks were at least 3/4" wide and completely open. Then I filled them with primerless windshield urethane after backing them up with duck tape. 24hrs later I used SEM 68422 flexible bumper repair to finish filling then sanding then filling and sanding until I was happy with the surface. Next step was SEM 38464 vinyl/ plastic prep to clean the entire dash surface. Then I used SEM 39853 texture coating to cover the whole dash surface. The final step was SEM landau black color coat/ flexible coating. Sorry, I never thought to take before pics, but the three cracks were in the typical places, and you could almost slide your fingers through them. So, anyway, here's the after pics. The texture spray creates a courser surface, but still very acceptable to me. Plus, good dashboards aren't cheap! Lets see how long this lasts. I will update this if or when the first crack appears.

post-18334-14150816402897_thumb.jpg

post-18334-14150816403566_thumb.jpg

post-18334-14150816404162_thumb.jpg

post-18334-14150816404752_thumb.jpg

The dash looks fantastic man! I literally just ordered all those SEM products yesterday as I am about to do the exact same thing!

One question, you said you cut the cracks to taper them?

I have some pretty big cracks on my dash and this is mainly for the big ones, but where they are split the edges of the cracks flare upwards. I'm wondering did you flatten these flares down (is that what you cut with the razor)?

Because it seems that I'll have to cut a pretty good piece out of them to make the dash flat when it's finished.

Anyhow the car looks fantastic, glad to see another white Z looking great! (Yours is a 280 correct?)

  • Author

No, its a 1971 240Z. What makes you think it's a 280? And, yes, the reason I "opened" up the cracks is because of how the vinyl flares upwards at the cracks edges. Also, I used the windshield urethane because it cures to a firm but flexible state, and its not silicone, so all of the other products you are using will bond to it very well. Of course before you fill with urethane you need to clean the underside well so the tape will stick so the urethane doesn't fall through. Most NAPA stores sell windshield urethane. Make sure it is PRIMERLESS! DO NOT USE SILICONE!!!!!! NOTHING BONDS TO SILICONE EXCEPT SILICONE!!!!! Thanks!

  • Author

Here's a better pic of my dash. I marked the repair areas with the green lines.

post-18334-14150816405474_thumb.jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Wow in my tired morning daze I somehow missed your title and then saw an extra digit when I saw the vin making me think it was close to my vin, sorry bout that.

Sounds good, I was going to just use Great Stuff insulating foam as previous people had long lasting results with it combined with the other SEM products.

Did you do any special prep to the actual old foam backing of the dash inside the cracks to make the urethane fill stick or bond better?

Love the Avatar by the way, the work on the dash is just as impressive too. I might want to steal your avatar for my facebook page.

  • Author

No, as long as its primerless urethane it bonds to just about anything.

Very professional looking. Untrained eye cannot see if it's repaired or brand new!

I have one more questions, hopefully the last heh, when apply the sem bumper repair what did you use to smooth it out? I was thinking just a paintbrush?

  • Author

I applied it just like you would apply "Bondo". With a plastic spatula thing. Then let it cure, sand it, re-apply it, sand more, reapply, sand it, and so on until you are happy with the surface. Be patient and take your time. It wont be right at the first application. It will take multiple layers and sanding and shaping to get it just right.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.