IGNORED

How does the trim strip separate from the rear tail lights (1971 240z)?

240260280z

...are there plastic studs that go into the red plastic body that are glued/fastened/melted on the inside?
This. One long stud that goes all the way through to the center of the back plate, and two shorter ones that only go through the lens. All three are retained by speed nuts. You need to remove the speed nut on the long one first, and separate the lens from the back plate to get at the other two.

After removing the speed nut from the back of the taillight assembly, Run the taillight under hot water to soften the glue that holds the lens to the back plate. Then you can get to the 2 inner speed nuts holding the trim plate to the lenses.

when I reassemble them, I use a micro torch on the glue. Keep the torch moving at a decent pace and close to the glue so only the glue is heated. Work in a circular motion, once it's heated up and more liquid than solid, Run the torch over the matching lens edge to sort of pre-heat it. then reassemble quickly. Squeezing all over for a few minutes to set the seal as best as possible.

I do the LED conversions all the time so I'm quite experienced at the R&R procedure.

Dave