IGNORED

New 280z advice

Z car wannabe

Hello all, I am looking at a 1978 280Z. My mechanic, who is a big Z fan and owns a couple, has worked on this car and says it's in excellent shape both mechanically and body wise.

The owner says he is into it for 11K. He bought it from the original owner in southern states. He is asking $6800. needs new paint and maybe some small cosmetic interior work like new carpet.

Body is 99% rust free. Needs new carpets. All gauges work including clock. Floors are good. Very little bit of rust near battery box. Terrible paint job. Engine is good. Original engine. Supports are rust free. Dash has a cover on it.

My question is if I can get it for $6000 is that a good price?

Thanks

Chris

How much of the work will you be able to do yourself? A cheap paint job is one of the most time consuming things to fix properly. If you can do most of the work to it, I would jump on it. If you're not confident in doing your own body work, think about what kind of budget you would like to spend. Good luck!

Chase

If the car were in the Southwest, that would be a bit high a price, but for the rest of us, that's probably in the correct neighborhood. I bought my own '78 here in Virginia for about $6k. Nice paint, but a few small patches of rust to take care of. Nice interior. Everything basically working, original engine, 155k miles. The engine ran "good" but not "right," and it took me quite a while to iron those bugs out. I did feel like I overpaid a bit, but it was clearly the best Z I could find in my general area.

Post pics. $6k sounds a bit high to me for a car with a bad paint job. No telling whats under it. Even in the south the cars rust. FWIW, I paid $2300 for my 78 280z. I needed some mechanical work and paint, was a fairly solid car like you described, however that 99% rust free turned into about 85% rust free once you take a grinder to it. Mine was the original paint so there wasn't anything being covered up.

Make sure you check for rust bubbling up under the undercoating right behind the front wheels shock towers. Look at the frame rails. Use a magnet to check for filler around the bottom of the rear quarter panels, in front of the rear wheels on the bottom of the rocker, and behind the front wheels on the front fenders.