IGNORED

Rank in Order of Difficulty

Brubaker

New to the Z world. I have a project on my hands and would appreciate input on ranking the following items in level of difficulty - easiest to hardest. I am currently working on the front end and haven't found it to be too difficult.

- Replace front stuts and springs with Eibach progressives and tokico illuminas

- Replace rear struts and springs

- Replace front wheel bearings and races

- Replace rear wheel bearings and races

- Replace ball joints

- Replace all front bushings with urethane, control arm,tension rod, steering rack etc.

- Replace all rear bushings

- Replace spindle pins.

- Replace 30 plus year stock exhaust manifold with msa 3-2 coated header

- Replace exhaust with twice pipes

- Replace all brake hardlines

I think that covers it. To those who have traveled this path, any insight to what to expect.

The car is a 1977 280Z all original and extremely rusty and corroded on the suspension and exhaust system. Hope this is in an ok thread, apologies if not.

I'll bite. Guess I'll go with (1) being easiest and increasing from there.

(1) Nothing difficult, just time intensive

Replace front stuts and springs with Eibach progressives and tokico illuminas

Replace rear struts and springs

Replace ball joints

(1.5) Not hard, but rusty fasteners can be a killer

Replace 30 plus year stock exhaust manifold with msa 3-2 coated header

Replace exhaust with twice pipes

(2) Nothing too difficult, just need to get metal sleeve out of LCA

Replace all front bushings with urethane, control arm,tension rod, steering rack etc.

(3) Requires further disassembly, rear can be stubborn

Replace front wheel bearings and races

Replace rear wheel bearings and races

(4) These go hand-in-hand, biggest challenge here is getting the pin out, and outer RLCA bushings (if using poly)

Replace all rear bushings

Replace spindle pins.

(5) That would be a PITA without the driveline being out of the way

Replace all brake hardlines

There is also plentiful info here and on the web describing these tasks. My 2 cents...

I have done the entire list of tasks recently minus exhaust & brake lines.

I like the way Leon has sorted the tasks.

I would add that it depends of the tools you would have in hands & how rusted the car is as Leon said (broken rusted bolts are no fun...).

As far as I'm concerned, I've used 25t press, benzene/O2 torch, impact gun, etc. with those kind of tools, job is fun.

Removed those tools, replace the press with a Hammer, regular tool and you're up for a very frustrating job.

Edited by Lazeum

Thanks for the input. I've done the front end stuff, struts springs, control arm bushings, rack, wheel bearings and races and none of this was hard. I was thinking compared to some of the new cars where you have to be a contortionist, the Z isn't to bad. The slow part is the cleaning of the rust and priming and painting. Clearly I am on the easy stuff. The rear end seems to be the challenge. I'm not under any time constraint as I bought the car for weekends. Looks like some extra beer will be in order.