IGNORED

Oil and water temp gauges don't work

GCSS

Hi, I grounded out the wires to the sensors and the gauges stay down.

I'm told there is a fuse for these two gauges. where is it?

all fuses in the fusebox are OK .

car is not a butcher job. it is a 63,000 mile original which has been sitting since the 80s. I drive it every day now with a set of mechanical gauges, but if I can get these two gauges working EVERYTHING will work on the car.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

If your fuel gauge is working then it is not the fuse. The oil, temperature and fuel gauges all go through the ACCESSORY fuse.

Have you tested the gauges with a 9 volt battery to see if they work?

Have you tested for voltage with a voltmeter at the connector for the gauge? See BE-2 in the FSM. You will need to have the ammeter/fuel gauge plugged in and the key in the ON position to verify.

If your fuel gauge is working then it is not the fuse. The oil, temperature and fuel gauges all go through the ACCESSORY fuse.

Have you tested for voltage with a voltmeter at the connector for the gauge? See BE-2 in the FSM. You will need to have the ammeter/fuel gauge plugged in and the key in the ON position to verify.

I have not done this.

My fuel gauge does work.

battery test and voltmeter tests will be done, and I will get back with the results.

Thanks!!!

BE-2........hmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Well I FINALLY had some time to mess with the car.

I took a 9V battery and the oil press gauge went up.

So... now what? This seems to tell me the wiring from gauge to sending unit is good. but the power is absent.

what would be the next step?

Thanks!

now if I can just get them dadgum SUs adjusted correctly!!!!!!!!!

Well I FINALLY had some time to mess with the car.

I took a 9V battery and the oil press gauge went up.

So... now what? This seems to tell me the wiring from gauge to sending unit is good. but the power is absent.

what would be the next step?

What about the Temp gauge? Did it work with the 9V battery?

Finish the diagnostics I listed before to confirm the diagnosis. You could have two separate problems and not realize it.

What about the Temp gauge? Did it work with the 9V battery?

Finish the diagnostics I listed before to confirm the diagnosis. You could have two separate problems and not realize it.

you HAD to say that didn't you??

well I went back out there and yes, the temp gauge goes up as well.

You should have 12VDC to ground at one of the pins in that connector if you do the test as I described above.

It is a 4 pin connector. One pin goes to the oil pressure sensor. One pin goes to the temperature sensor. One pin is the ground for the light bulb. The fourth pin is your 12VDC source for the gauges. I cannot tell you which pin it should be since the colors denoted on BE-3 (not BE-2 as I stated earlier) do not match the wiring diagram on BE-5.

Have the ammeter/fuel gauge installed when you test for voltage.

You should have 12VDC to ground at one of the pins in that connector if you do the test as I described above.

It is a 4 pin connector. One pin goes to the oil pressure sensor. One pin goes to the temperature sensor. One pin is the ground for the light bulb. The fourth pin is your 12VDC source for the gauges. I cannot tell you which pin it should be since the colors denoted on BE-3 (not BE-2 as I stated earlier) do not match the wiring diagram on BE-5.

Have the ammeter/fuel gauge installed when you test for voltage.

OK PLEASE bear with me as electricals really are not one of my strengths.

From what you say I gather I need to locate a 4 pin connector. and basically check for the presence of 12 V. where is this connector located?

Again, thanks for helping me. I am learning here.

Did you look at the FSM on the page I referenced? Did you not notice the connector that the gauge was plugged into? Did you not have to unplug the gauge to be able to test it with a 9 volt battery?

Either you are asking for a lot of spoonfeeding, or you are leaving out a lot of details.

I looked at the FSM... looks like the connector is under the dash.

I guess I need to try to find that connector under the dash... and then unplug it and check on the harness side (not the gauge side) touch all 4 of the pins and see if I can get my test light to illuminate......right?

Boy this is gonna be a pain in the bazungas. it is tight under there. I don't have japanese hands.

I'll get under there tomorrow and get back with you ..thanks.

Dave