IGNORED

fuel gage

steve73z

Hello Im new to this site and i own a 73 240z .I have had the car for 20 years but left It in the garage for just about 15 years. Now I found intrest in fixing some of the issues with the car from sitting so long. I first started replacing vent hoses and fuel line hoses also replaced fuel gage sending unit finished doing all this then drove it to the gas station to fill it up to see if the gage worked correctly but the needle on the gage with a full tank only goes just past the half tank mark. so my question is how hard is it to replace or fix this gage ? Also spent the last few hours tuning the the round top carbs then went to test them out on the road as i went out it was dark so i turned on the head light to see i had a bulb out on a nother gage and the clock seems to run slow so i would think i need to get to all 3 gages and clean them up and change some bulbs so again need some input on this task

Replacing the gauge isn't that difficult. Repairing it is much more of a challenge. I suggest removing the glove box for access to the backs of the gauges. Plus it gives you a way to slide them out. You can get a quartz movement put in your clock. See ZClocks for more info. Z Car Source, a site sponsor, does sell refurbished gauges. A member here sent his tach to Bob's Gauges. You could contact that website to see if he will refurbish a fuel gauge.

Edited by SteveJ
Corrected bad html formatting

I had a empty tank to start with at first I was thinking about droping the tank out but as i looked at it and the fuel i drained out it looked not too bad so i put 2 gallons in it and drove to the gas station where I spent 50 bucks in fuel for some 92 octain fuel so im guessing around 14 to 15 gallons. But just a guess as i didnt look to close to the amount of gallons

Edited by steve73z

Just flushed it out the fuel in the car was a bout a year and a half old I had it out of the garage at that time after rebuilding the transmision but found other issues so parked it back in the garage. Last night i got the carbs sinked and found that either my electric fuel pump or relay feeding the pump was my problem so I took the pump out and bypassed it. Seems to run great put about 20 miles on it today now I need struts and and some minor brake work

Just flushed it out the fuel in the car was a bout a year and a half old I had it out of the garage at that time after rebuilding the transmision but found other issues so parked it back in the garage. Last night i got the carbs sinked and found that either my electric fuel pump or relay feeding the pump was my problem so I took the pump out and bypassed it. Seems to run great put about 20 miles on it today now I need struts and and some minor brake work

Forgot you had a 73 with two fuel pumps sounds like you got it all figured out.:)