Peening stub axle nuts - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Peening stub axle nuts

Featured Replies

I have my rear spindles over at Andrew Streckfuss "ZCurves" brother's AAMCO putting in the new wheel bearings and grease seals. What is this crap about peening the nut that goes on the stub axle? What is peening? Shot peening is what they do to connecting rods to increase strength. Andrew if you are reading this I had to rob one stub axle nut off the parts car. I need the other one but your brother air impact won't get it off. Sounds like it is one of those things that you don't really need to do to your car, something no shop would ever do on a customer's car.

I think what they mean is staking the nut so it does not come loose.

The real thing to be concerned with is that they know to cut the peened area off before taking the nuts off. If they don't they'll wipe the threads off of the stub axle from the peened area to the end.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.