IGNORED

Pressure Plate Positioning?

Threehz

Ok so I finally got myself an engine stand and I go to remove the pressure plate, cover, and flywheel. Right after removing the pressure plate cover and pressure plate I reference my book ("How to Rebuild Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine") and realize I was supposed to punch-mark the position of the pressure plate cover compared to the flywheel. Ooops :/

How important is this and is there any way I can remedy this?

On a better note this is the engine from my car that was sleeping for eight years. I've read a lot of stories about waking old cars and the engines being possibly seized and people having to push the car with it in gear to get the crank to turn. Well turns out when I tried to loosen the first bolt on the pressure plate cover the crank turned. So that is a relief, now I'm just hoping you guys are gonna tell me that this pressure plate marking isn't a huge deal, or can somehow be remedied!

Thanks!

I've never put much stock in that instruction. I guess that's if you are putting the old pressure plate back in. Generally speaking, if I'm going in there, I'm putting new stuff in in which case marking its position would be moot.

That makes sense, I'll get some pictures of the plate and put em up, or go inspect it and see if it needs replacing.

What merit is there to marking it though? Is there a certain orientation that it should go on or be installed?

I've got a 2+2/turbo (240mm) flywheel and the clutch and pressure plate to go with it. There are three guide pins on the flywheel, but they're not evenly spaced as one would imagine...there's only one orientation in which the pressure plate will fit. Isn't the 225mm flywheel/pressure plate produced in the same manner?

Assuming you are replacing it, nothing to think about. Even if you are using it, I agree that it would be to match up any wear that had happened to that point. Frankly, even when I have reused the pressure plate, which has been many of times, I have never marked them.

Ok good to know, makes me feel more at ease! Upon looking at all the components I really couldn't see what would have to be matched up anyways, they're all circular and all symmetrical.

Thanks for the help guys, now my only question is what signs suggest these parts need replacing?

On my 240Z the pressure plate only fits on the flywheel in one orientation. (As twsuitt mentioned.)

If you removed the dowel pins for resurfacing that might not apply, but you really need those pins to get the pressure plate properly centered. Otherwise you will have a balance issue.

I would assume the reason to put the pressure plate on the same orientation would have to do with balance issues.

I can't remember if the pressure plate on my 240 can only go on in one position.

On a Massey Ferguson tractor I once had, some ham fisted mechanic stripped one of the pressure plate bolts,:stupid: and threaded to a larger size. The bolt he put in this hole was longer than the others, and that thing used to vibrate bad at full throttle.

I had to pull the engine and rethread all the pressure plate bolt holes to correct it.

Edited by olzed

Okay, let's try a little experiment. Place your pressure plate onto your flywheel, using the guide pins to line things up. now pull the pressure plate and rotate it 120 degrees in either direction and attempt to place it back on the pins - lining up the bolt holes. Does the pressure plate fit in three different orientations? or just in one?