IGNORED

Electrical insanity

GIchiro

Wow I am going crazy. I have a '73 z 4 spd(02/73 mfg date) with the elec fuel pump and 9 pin combo (headlight/wiper/washer) switch.

-MSA alt upgrade killed my battery so after research realized that it keeps the fp relay on so I disconnected it.

-MSA headlight relay harness. Lights don't go on but they did prior to my son installing a refurbished turn signal switch. Read Mike W's pdf and am going to try that.

-I have a few relays on the passenger side and was wondering what is what.

a. I realized the FP was the warm to touch relay.

b. I have another relay that has 6 pins (2 rows of 3) with wires grn-grn-blk/ylw-2 blk in same spade.

c.The pigtail also connects to the fp relay ,then to ylw-blk/ylw into the engine compartment, and lastly to 2 connectors at the center console area2 greens with a blk/wht that connects to both connectors.

I really want to ID all the crazy relays on that passenger side. I cannot believe this car has so many wires!!!! I may need to consider a simpler aftermarket harness.

-My color coded wiring diagram from ebay doesn't seem to match up too well.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don

-Mike W. is the King!!! My used switch was missing the detents/springs. My old switch had the red wire break off so I re-soldered it. Have Lights now!!!!!

-The relays:

1-Removed the fp relay and another relay (the 6 pin with 3 rows of 2. I found that that relay had a "free wire" in the engine compartment (blk/ylw) and the sold ylw went to the MSA voltage regulator adapter and then went to the fp relay so I eliminated that relay and the car still started and is charging.

-I still hope to find out what the other relays do. The small one with the 2 grns may be a buzzer.

-I hope someone else with issues may find this helpful.

Don

Don,

I make the Alternator adaptor and the Headlight upgrade harness.

When your son installed the new switch, did he connect the black wire on the Turn signal switch to the Black wire on the combo switch?? That is your headlights Ground wire for controlling Hi and Lo beam.

If you Need the Fuel pump relay because you have an electric fuel pump, then you need to find the Warm relay under the dash with a Yellow wire going into the connector. This wire can be traced back to the Voltage regulator. The regular VR sends 12 volts when the alternator is running to turn on the fuel pump relay. When you swap out the old alternator for an internally regulated alternator, the Adaptor plug sends a constant signal, thus leaving the relay on and killing the battery.

You need to cut the yellow wire near the relay connector and run it into an ignition controlled relay or a flip switch to shut off the relay when not in use. If you choose to use an ignition controlled relay, wire it like this.......

Cut the yellow ire near the fuel pump relay, with enough wire to connect another wire to each side.

Cut Yellow wire from the relay to pin 87 on a standard 12VDC automotive relay

Cut Yellow wire from the voltage regulator to pin 30 on the relay

Connect a black grounded wire to pin 85 on the relay

Connect a Red? or any other color wire to Pin 86 on the relay and the other end of that wire to the ignition switch Black/white wire

This will allow your ignition switch to turn the relay on and on.

Dave

P.S.

Check the fuse on the Headlight Upgrade harness, should be a 30 amp green fuse.

Make sure the small connector with a red, white and black wire is going to the harness connector for the headlights and the larger connector is going to the headlights. Also make sure the 2 ground wires are bolted Down real good to an exposed metal area (inner vallance bolts on the inner frame area.

Edited by Zs-ondabrain