IGNORED

interior screws?

hester_prynne

The previous owner of my 280z removed a few of the interior pieces, and i cant find the screws used to put them back. The removed pieces include : steering column plastics, passenger and driver side plastics at the bottom of the dash, center console, dash filler near the windshield, and the driver side door rest/handle. Does anyone know where i could find these fasteners?

You can get a box of assorted metric screws from your local auto parts store. However, they won't be painted dark olive green like the originals. I suppose you can paint the heads with black epoxy spray paint (appliance paint) from Home Depot. Black makes more sense than dark olive green, don't you think?

BTW, welcome... and love the literary name! :)

The previous owner of my 280z removed a few of the interior pieces, and i cant find the screws used to put them back. The removed pieces include : steering column plastics, passenger and driver side plastics at the bottom of the dash, center console, dash filler near the windshield, and the driver side door rest/handle. Does anyone know where i could find these fasteners?

Look at the parts manual link in my signature. Find all of the part numbers. Go to Nissanparts.cc or Courtesy Nissan Parts, and put in all of the part numbers. They will let you buy anything that is still in the system and let you know what is NLA.

Look at the parts manual link in my signature. Find all of the part numbers. Go to Nissanparts.cc or Courtesy Nissan Parts, and put in all of the part numbers. They will let you buy anything that is still in the system and let you know what is NLA.

Perfect. I was trying to find a parts list online but was unsuccessful. I wasnt sure of the thread pitch so i didnt want to just try any blots/screws. Thanks guys

Hester, I had never looked at Steve's parts link. (Very nice! Thanks, Steve!! :)) However, if you're not wanting to pay $3 for each screw (or whatever they charge), you can use generic metric screws. The thread pitches are pretty standard. If it fits the hole, the pitch will almost certainly be right.

You're welcome, Sarah. Sometimes it's not so bad to pay extra for the correct screw. My two cars have suffered from benign and not-so-benign neglect over the years, so if I can replace someone's kludged it-works-for-the-most-part fix with a proper fastener, it's worth it to me. :)

The link really pays off for finding parts commonalities.

Your Ace Hardward store typically has an excellent fastener section. Most of the Datsun screws I bought there were both available in Stainless and in the correct 1.25 pitch.

The only ones I couldn't find readily were the ones that mount the Heater Control Panel, the Seat Reclining Cover screws and the Choke / Hand Throttle Knob screws. I ended up going to an R/C Hobby Store to find the Cover and Knob screws (and the corresponding tap). The Heater Control Panel screws were donated by a friend.

FWIW

E

True, Enrique! It's not just Ace, but most of the smaller hardware stores, many of which are independent. My go-to place for stainless fasteners is our local True Value. Not only do they have a great selection, but their prices are actually quite good. Because of the importance of boating to our community, we also have a number of auto parts stores with large stainless selections. And of course there's always the marinas!

FAIW, www.boltdepot.com has some nice stainless variety boxes in metric, very reasonably priced :)