IGNORED

While I'm Here, What Should I Do?

Threehz

A couple of things. I STRONGLY advise NOT pulling the oil pan , unless it is leaking. If the engine has been cared for properly,

routine oil changes ect. There is no need to pull the pan. You can dislodge some things that have settled down to the pan and will just stay there and not cause any problem . But if you open the engine there is a good chance that you will have problems with

clogged oil passages. Why didn't you start the engine prior to this removal? This would have been the first thing you should have

done. Do clean everything on the outside of the engine and paint, the same with the engine bay. Paint the engine bay the same color as the body of the car. If you intend to make a color change in the future , do it now in the engine bay then you will save a ton of time and work later. If you want to add headers , this would be a great time to do so . I would replace the clutch and throw out bearing also and have the flywheel resurfaced. I didn't read all the posts to this thread so some of what I just said may have been said before. If the engine hasn't been run for years, pull the spark plugs and put some ATF in the cylinders. Just a

teaspoon full then turn the engine over using the crank nut on the front of the engine. Before you do start the engine pull the valve cover and pour oil over the cam and rockers. Before actually starting it with the plugs OUT , spin the engine on the starter and watch for any valves that may stick . Either open or closed. If all is good they fire it up. I have started engines that have been setting up to 15years with out a problem using this method.

Gary