IGNORED

new to Z's. not sure what this is..

I recently purchased a 1978 280z. I cant figure out what a couple things are.

I have two pull knobs under the dash, on both sides. Driver side, its next to the hood release. Same location on the passenger side.

img20110613114532.jpg

I have no idea what this is...but it appears to be broken. You can still see the residue of the electrical tape the previous owner had wrapped around it.

img20110613114452.jpg

This large yellow tank has a small line going to it, but it is torn in half.

img20110613114505.jpg

Lastly, it came with aftermarket lca's and sway bars? Im curious if anyone can identify them from the blue color. Maybe a certain company uses this color blue as a signature?

img20110613114344.jpg

img20110613114414.jpg

img20110613114334.jpg

Thanks for any helps guys.

The thing on the throttle body (with electrical tape residue) is a dashpot, used to slow the return of the throttle. It's not necessary, but it does help. Contrary to appearances, nothing connects to the crumbly plastic cap.

The translucent bottle in the next picture is a vacuum reservoir for the HVAC system. The vacuum is used to control the high idle on the engine and the various doors and workings in the air handler.

Yeah, stock on the suspension -- with nonstock paint. ;)

Those vents are one of the "cooler" (no play on words) parts of the car, and yet I forget to use/enjoy them.

BTW, there's no reason to be clueless about these things. You can download a copy of Nissan's Factory Service Manual at:

www.xenons30.com

You can also buy a paper copy used on Ebay or Amazon from time to time. Good book -- well worth the money.

Edited by FastWoman