IGNORED

HELP - Late 73 wiring issues

philbar73

Hi,

I need help. I have a late 73 240 Z with intermittent wipers and an electric fuel pump. I just put in the dash a day or two ago and have been having electrical issues.

I’m not sure if I have all the relay/harness connection right.

The lights all work, the blower works, the hazards work the car runs but will not turn off with the key. When the motor is stopped, there is no voltage on the coil.

The wipers work to a point, the intermittent setting gives me low speed, low speed gives me low speed and hi gives me hi speed.

Can someone confirm if the small group of wires that has the Fuel pump fuse on one end and the relay block on the other all goes to the relay with the 10 connections. The fuel pump is not getting power.

Also there are a large black and yellow set of wires coming out of this same harness on the relay side, where do they plug in. I do not see the Black and Yellow wires in the dash harness? HELP!!!!!

Please send pictures of the late 73 relay block, or a drawing of the connections. My book shows the fuel pump goes directly to the ignition contact on the key switch, my car looks like it sends the fuel pump wires to the relay block, my book does not show everything that’s going on here.

HELP!!!!

Is there any chance that there is an internally regulated alternator in the car? If you don't have a diode in the circuit with an internally regulated alternator, you can get feedback through the ignition circuit that will keep the car running. Also, it could be to your benefit to post pictures of what you have so we can see what it stock and what is not.

Finally, have you looked at the FSM in the BE section to try to match up connectors?

Very cool, the run on problem is likely from the internal regulator alternator with no diode. That answers that.

The alternator is the only upgrade that is not compleet (need a diode). I also put in headlight relays that are powered from the original headlight circut. The lights are powered directly from the alternator power terminal. This works fine.

The harness with the big Yellow and Black wires by the relay block, i'm not sure where to connect it? Do the two connectors from this harness go to the 10 pin relay? (they plug in)

The big Yellow and Black wires by the relay block, I do not know where to connect them.