IGNORED

Mystery Holes?

Threehz

So while removing my engine I found some very strange holes in my engine bay. One on each side of the firewall around the transmission, they both look like they were punched out, but not hole-punched, the metal is frayed and torn looking. One has a tube coming out of it the other is just the hole. They just don't look stock because of the way the metal is torn and that they're not clean cut holes.

So if anyone knows what these are or can give some guesses as to what they might be? I guess eventually I'll find out where they lead and if nothing else. Anyhow thanks and here's a picture, I can get a closer, better quality one of just them if it helps.

mysterytubeholes.jpg

condensation drain lines for aftermarket or dealer installed a/c? I've had 2 Zs, both with dealer installed a/c; one had the drain punched thru in the same area, and one was in the top center of the tunnel. Both cars used the ventilation controls for a non-a/c car, so it wasn't obvious that there was a/c given the absence of a compressor.

Interesting, that would definitely make sense, sometime in the near future I'm removing the dash and that should definitely reveal what these holes lead to. The car has AC which I thought was stock, is AC on 77's only 'stock' as in dealer installed?

I guess that depends on who did the installation. My 78 had the so called 'dealer installed' air but they drilled round holes and even put rubber grommets in them for the drain and refrigerant lines. 280Z could be purchased with either dealer installed or factory air. One of the indicators is that the factory air has a four speed fan instead of the standard three speed and an 'A/C' position on the control panel.

post-3797-14150815384396_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150815384234_thumb.jpg

Edited by sblake01
to add attachments.....