Alternator wiring help - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Alternator wiring help

Featured Replies

I installed a new 240z motor and new alternator. When I connect the F N wires to the alternator and turn the key to the on position the amp meter goes to -45 amps and the ignition fuse blows. What can I test to see if the new alternator is bad.

  • Author

I fixed the problem. The F and N wires in the alternator were wired incorrectly. After fixing the wiring in the alternator no more blown fuse and the alternator works great. They had shorted the F and N wires in the alternator when the alternator was assembled.

Ouch. I hope it didn't cause any other problems in your electrical system.

By F&N wires, are you referring to the "T" shaped plug that inserts into the back of the altnernator? They reversed those when they rebuilt it??? What a jip. I'd return the damn thing & ask for them to pay for my blown fuse & whatever else it affected. Hats off to you sir for figuring it out.

Typical quality control... we were just complaining about a leaking header... if the simple pressure test was done, or in your case a spin on a jig then these problems would never leave the factory...

My observation of many of today's car parts suppliers......they are starting to polish turds pretty good.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.