pistons - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

pistons

Featured Replies

Hope I am posting this in the right place I am looking for a source for 240 z pistons for my 72 anyone know where I can find them?

You have to first understand what kind of pistons you are looking for and to a certain extent, the type of rings also (cast iron vs. chromoly). Do you want to use only OEM parts, or are aftermarket parts acceptable? I installed non-OEM pistons in my rebuilt 2.4 for a few years now without any issues. I found them thru Car Quest at the time. I think they are now WorldWide Auto Parts. Since the car is older, it's important to choose the person behind the counter as much as the part. Find someone knowledgable and interested first and they will want to help you. I recommend Rising Sun Import Parts in San Diego CA. They are on El Cajon Blvd.

I know you can still get the .040 over pistons with valve reliefs from Nissan (73 pistons), but you'll need to have a machine shop take off .025 inches as they come out of the block by .025 inches. You can also get the Nissan rings for that piston. Well worth the hassle to have factory pistons IMO.

also depends on what you want to do with the engine, since I am going to stay with the L24 I want a little more power out of it so an easy. although not cheap, way is to go with forged pistons and rods to lower the weight and free up the engine to rev faster, still in the research portion and it is not as easy as when I did with my 350Z for which there were tons of options.

L24 rods are already forged. Why do you think you need forged pistons?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Brian-

Have you confirmed your block - a lot of things change with different owners...........if you are looking for advise and parts try Dave Rebello at Rebello Racing. He can answer all your questions and sell you some stuff - either stock or mods - it's all your choice on what you are looking for....................welcome to the site!! Get ready for a great ride!!

L24 rods are already forged. Why do you think you need forged pistons?

Thanks for info, my main purpose would be to reduce weight of the components to result in a easier revving and higher revving engine, not so much for strength as I did for my boosted 350Z, the engine revs so easily compared to stock I am going that route as well as having the crank and complete engine balanced

  • Author

hi travel'n man

just got the car a few weeks ago it is still stock doesnt look like the motor has ever been apart. had a blown head gasket when I got it

just finished fixing that and found its smoking quite a bit and compression on #3 cylinder is somewhat lower than the rest so I think it best to just go through it and freshen it up. I want to keep it all stock or as much as I can anyway. Does Dave Rebello have a web site? and where is he located?

I am sure there are places here in calif. but I havent found any local to me

Brian

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.